Spam Filter - Outlook 2003 & 2007 bounces between Passed and Failed

Hello,

I am seeing some strange behavior with the Spam Filter.

Everything processes normally, and Outlook 2003 and 2007 will finish testing with a 'Passed' status.

If I refresh the page, they will sometimes bounce to 'Failed.'

If I refresh again, it will bounce back to 'Passed.'

It's very strange behavior, and I am wondering if this is the cause of an error in the Spam Filtering setup?

Thanks,
Chad

tonyknibb, 7 years ago

Hiya,

I'm seeing that too.

It said Outlook 2007 has passed me with 2 warnings, when I clicked to view the warnings (in a new tab using Chrome on Vista) it changed to failed. With no explanation as to why it has failed.

Cheers,
Tony.

davidaf davidaf, 7 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion on this. This is due to the fact that we pass your email through two different spam filter services. While your tests are loading, you may actually be viewing results from one or the other until all the tests are completed. The two different services apparently have different configurations for the Outlook filters, thereby reporting different results, hence the changing results as you reload.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
chadclark, 7 years ago

Hmm. So the results could vary depending on which service has updated most recently?

tonyknibb, 7 years ago

"The two different services apparently have different configurations for the Outlook filters"

So is that something that's going to be fixed? Spurious results will make this testing next to useless...

Also, why are there warnings if you pass, but no explanation if you fail? Is that because Outlook sucks?

T.

chadclark, 7 years ago
tonyknibb :

"The two different services apparently have different configurations for the Outlook filters"

So is that something that's going to be fixed? Spurious results will make this testing next to useless...

Also, why are there warnings if you pass, but no explanation if you fail? Is that because Outlook sucks?

T.

Yes, exactly. Are we getting clear results with these tests?

chadclark, 7 years ago

I am now experiencing the same behavior with Postini. It initially passes and then on reload, it shows that it failed.

For $5 a test, I would hope for more accurate reporting. Once the scan is finished and it shows either 'Passed' or 'Failed' the first time, I would expect that to be the report.

Mathew Mathew, 7 years ago

As above, the trouble is that there is no such thing as an exact configuration - even the same filter set up exactly the same way will behave differently over time as it "learns" and responds to email it is uniquely receiving.

For this reason, a spam filter checker can only ever be a broad guide - if everything is failing, you know you have a problem. If it is just one, and in your own Outlook it is fine, that's likely representative of what your customers will see.

@Chad - we understand the problem, but we are using two professional services and they do sometimes show different results. That in itself is valuable information for you - it won't pass or fail in every persons inbox even if they are using Postini.

The only thing we could really do, given variances between two installations of the same filter, would be to just pick one and throw out the other result.It wouldn't actually be more accurate, we'd just be not showing one. You might feel more confident, but that's not necessarily what you want.

It's a tricky situation, that's for sure.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Ken Ken, 6 years ago

Just letting you know we've fixed the problem of when we combine the results from the two different systems. You should only see one set of results from now on. Feel free to get back to us if you have any other problems or questions.

http://www.campaignmonitor.com

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098