html design - stuck :(

Hi all,
Im new here!

Im trying to design an HTML email, but it gives weird gaps between the rows/tables in hotmail
ie theres a white space splitting the guy on the right

Ive tried to email this html email from outlook to hotmail..
Ive tried display block, ive tried specifying heights, I even had a transitional doctype in there

Could anyone help?
Heres the HTML - send from your outlook to your hotmail to see:

http://www.beyondyourdreams.co.uk/abs_newyears3.html

BThies BThies, 6 years ago

Tested by sending from Campaign Monitor and didn't see the gap in Hotmail (in either IE or Firefox)

How are you emailing the HTML email from Outlook to Hotmail?  Are you forwarding it?  Outlook tends to break tables when forwarding.

Also, you have an extra </table> at the end of your document.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
deeDesign, 6 years ago

hi,
nope not forwarding it, and that table didnt make a difference thanks i spotted that!!
Im going new msg - insert file - attaching HTML file and inserting as file (outlook 2007)

Although I'm not 100% sure, I'd say attaching HTML/inserting as a file will not work the same way as deploying through a 3rd party service such as CM.  That's most likely the reason for the breaks.

Brian Thies
Thies Publishing
deeDesign, 6 years ago

hmm thanks..
but yeah that doesnt really help when we are trying to test our designs, regardless of what service we use..

thanks for your thoughts though ;-)

Why not use CM to test the design?  You can test deploy over and over to up to five e-mail addresses at no cost.

Also, CM and LitmusApp offer services to test your design across all major e-mail clients.

Brian Thies
Thies Publishing
deeDesign, 6 years ago

because in the end  - my marketing manager might be sending out emails in the same way i would have just done - outlook 2007

PS  - CM is $5 per test  - i tried and uploaded a campaign

I'd let your marketing manager know that if you plan on sending HTML e-mails, it'd be wise to use a 3rd party service so they display correctly and to easily manage lists/unsubscribers.

I'm hoping you didn't miss the area that allows you to simply test deploy the e-mail without paying/full deploying.  You can send a test deployment for FREE up to 5 e-mail addresses at a time through CM.  If you create a free account in Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail/Live, and Mail.com/AOL, you'll be able to see how they'd display across those clients as well as any Outlook client you have installed.

If you want to go a step further you could use CM's e-mail client/spam testing suite at $5 per test, but it can get pricey if you keep making changes to the document.  LitmusApp offers the service as well for $50 per month - unlimited testing.

Brian Thies
Thies Publishing
deeDesign, 6 years ago

yip missed that area - hard to find i think! ;-) paste a link for the rest of us - thanks!

mcotchin, 6 years ago

It's on 'Step 4.1 - Test your campaign'

It's actually the same area you would have used for the $5 spam filter test that CM provides. As Brian says though, CM do let you send out test mailshots up to 5 email address.

I'm not sure why but I regularly get different results when testing in CM, or inserting the HTML file directly into Outlook. CM usually has more stable results though, probably caused by how they move CSS inline.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098