What are the Implications of Being Identified as Spam?

Could someone explain what are the implications of being identified as spam? This is a question that comes up frequently with my clients and I never have a clear, concise answer to give them. I also think this could be a valuable addition to the Resources section of this website.

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Hi Jason,

In our help page, What are spam complaints and how can I reduce them? we cover the implications for you as the designer of excessive spam complaints. For your clients, if they receive too many complaints they will have their own account shut down, and that will also close your account as the designer.

That is why it is essential that you properly educate them about permission before sending to their lists. Check out our permission handouts as a good way to introduce them to it.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
woodsikov woodsikov, 9 years ago

1 spam complaint per 5,000 seems a bit low - some people seem to hit the spam button because it's easier than unsubscribing. I would have thought 1-2 per 1,000 would have been nearer the mark but this is only a guess based on the relatively few campaigns I have sent so far.

Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Hi Dean. Those are the benchmarks set by some of the major ISP's as best practice. The limit we impose is actually more relaxed (and realistic). You'll get a warning if you break the 0.25% mark, and you risk your account being closed if you start to get closer to the 1% mark. We're also very decent about that process, and you'll only lose your account if you're clearly breaching our anti-spam policy. These problems can usually be resolved by looking at how you've been getting permission from your subscribers and your email creative.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free