Adding Security layers to CM Admin pages

As you may known, Aweber was hacked before Christmas and this is a very bad news … romise.htm
"What Data Was Compromised?
As noted above, the information that was exported was strictly subscribers’ email addresses"

Some clients are receiving lot of spam since then … mpromised/
Selling CM software to big client is difficult because they prefer to use a buggy server script than an ESP because they are afraid to share their database email list and this is a pretty good argument i understand

And you known, bigger clients are better for both of us !
So i was thinking ideas to add more security layers in the future

First, i have to said that i am not at all a security expert, just reporting how other companies manage security

What could be done ?

- Adding Secure Socket (https://) when login like Gmail … swer=74765

- Asking a second password for sensitives tasks: sending email or exporting email

- Using a DigiCode system as Banks does, means a small device generating password valid for a very limited time (20 sec), the code is asked for sensitive tasks … 3godUReVMQ

- Disabling by default, CSV/Text Emails Export. As this isn't a regular task (in my point of view), this should be more difficult to access. Or permit resellers to disabled it for specific clients

- Generate a valid crypted key unique for the client computer when subscribing. Could be done with Java or FireFox Plugins.
We could add in our contract that using Mozilla FireFox is required. I understand that it can't be possible for all clients with intranet and strict Internet Explorer Policies but could be an interesting option we could offer for our difficult clients/new clients.

- Forcing password to be a mix of letters, numbers and special characters (maybe already set)

- Create a "Sign-in seal" like Yahoo did Give password scams the boot with personalized sign-in seals

I understand that these features need time to be achieved and i am sure you are already working to implement some of them

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions.

While I can't give too much detail, we have had an external security firm go through our whole system in order to make it as effectively secure as is practical. That covers a whole lot of areas (and you can login via https already, for example).

Please be assured we are very much aware of security (having been attacked ourselves too) and have put a lot of effort into this, much of it not actually visible from the outside.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Cédric Cédric, 6 years ago

Aweber email's hacked again 10 month later...

Email Subscriber Data Accessed; What We’re Doing About It

Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Over the weekend, AWeber was the target of a deliberate and successful attempt to mine email addresses.
On Saturday, October 16th, an unknown person gained unauthorized access to databases containing email subscriber information.
This incident appears to be part of a broader series of similar successful attacks on a number of email service providers (ESPs).

Cédric Cédric, 5 years ago

Firesheep demonstrates a security flaw that the computer security community has been concerned about for years  — that any network eavesdropper can take over another user's session (say, a login to a webmail or social networking account) just by sniffing packets and copying the victim's cookie. In other words, if the websites you visit are not taking steps to encrypt your communications, or you're not taking advantage of the encryption they offer, it's now an obvious and trivial fact that anyone else on that same network can use features from your accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Flickr, and a number of other popular web sites.
Google reported that "in order to turn on HTTPS for all Gmail users" we had to deploy no additional machines and no special hardware. On our production frontend machines, SSL/TLS accounts for less than 1% of the CPU load, less than 10KB of memory per connection and less than 2% of network overhead." Although there's engineering effort involved in making this happen, the idea that sites usually need to buy lots of new servers in order to turn on HTTPS is partly a relic of an earlier era.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free