Segment by postal code

Hello - our list includes postal codes so that we can select a geographical group. However, UK postal codes are in the format AB1 23C with the |"AB" letters denoting the area. So of course we want to select all the postcodes starting "AB" or whatever. Is this possible? If not, how do others get around this?

Also, is it possible to view all the fields anywhere in the "manage subscribers" section? If we can't select the areas automatically we'll need to scroll through and manually select each, but the custom fields are not currently visible. Can I make them visible?

Many thanks

BThies BThies, 6 years ago

I don't use segments very often (so hopefully someone has a better way).

You could always put the list in Excel and use some code to extract the first two letters into a new field.

If the address was in A1, you'd put the following code in B1:   =LEFT(A1,2)

Then just drag that code down on all of them.  Saving as a CSV from there will remove the code leaving the value in its place.  Upload back in and segment.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
landb, 6 years ago

Thank you very much! I'll give this a try....

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Hey, I used to live at CB41JT myself.

Brian's technique is the way we'd suggest too, there isn't an easier way I can think of right now. To see all your fields, click on 'custom fields' on the right hand column of your list's page under 'manage subscribers'.

You can also click on the link next to the list name to jump in there.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free