Double CNAME

First of all - thank you for great marketing tool! You guys are doing great product!

Question - How can resolve that?

One of my biggest client is asking to send emails via their own domain - I told them - we have to create custom domain! So, the basic process is very simple - you know that - Login in -> Customize -> Set up my custom domain -> create custom domain and send CNAME instructions to client. After that client is creating CNAME record in his DNS panel, BUT there is big problem - as you know CNAME date must contain
- if client's admin will know - I'm sure that they will broke contract with me, cause they will easy find that this is CampaignMonitor - not my own product.

So - one of my idea was(is) - I will send to my client different CNAME record data - see example below:

How can I do this New method?? - technically that must work, true? But it's not working in any way.
Help me to figure out this problem and offer to my client great solution!

Ken Ken, 6 years ago

Hi Robert,

Technically it should work but most references will suggest it should be avoided because it could create a loop.  I'd guess that if it's not working, then its because your implementation of DNS (or your DNS resolver ) is not allowing it to work.

This reference from shows that it can be done:

We would need the actual record details to see what the problem is.  It could just be a simple syntax error that's causing it not to work.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free