To not be qualified as spam by the server

This may be a common question but I didn't have enough concrete information to tell my client how this works.

I was discussing with my client his emails are now being qualified as spam because:

1. His recipients didn't add his email to their address book or whitelist it.
2. They didn't have an unsubscribe option.
3. They didn't have their company details (name, address and login) inside the email.
4. They were sending an attached large image.
5. Frequency of sending was too high. (1000 recipients a week - sometimes twice in 1 week)

After I told him this, he made his own assumptions on how he can bypass this.

He said if he got recipients to add his email to their address book or whitelist his email, they will no longer qualify as spam later.

Now, I'm sure there's more to just adding to the address book or whitelisting in email marketing so it won't be qualified as spam (besides content). But I couldn't explain frankly how this whole spam qualifying works.

So I've got a few questions:

1. If a recipient added my email to their address book or whitelisted my email, can my email still be considered as spam? If Yes, why?

2. What's the difference of sending through CM and Outlook or etc? (besides having a system and UI)

3. Is there a maximum frequency for sending? If Yes, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

1. If a recipient added my email to their address book or whitelisted my email, can my email still be considered as spam? If Yes, why?

If you're looking for a definition of what we consider spam, check out what we require in regards to permission before using Campaign Monitor. The safest way to think about the definition of spam is to adopt that same policies as the ISP's filtering your emails. Here's a post on exactly what this is and why you need both permission and relevance to avoid being marked as spam.

2. What's the difference of sending through CM and Outlook or etc? (besides having a system and UI)

Check out this article on the benefits of outsourcing your delivery to an ESP like Campaign Monitor.

3. Is there a maximum frequency for sending? If Yes, what is it?

The maximum really depends on the type of email your sending and what your recipients expect. There's no real golden number here.

dannyfoo dannyfoo, 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing the provided information, Dave. It's given me a better idea of what to tell my client regarding #2 and #3.

However, I think there isn't a real conclusion to #1 as of yet. The answer given and the one I've read about marking spam has made me understood no matter what, my client's email is standing in the middle.

What I mean is albeit my client recommending his recipients to whitelist his email address, future emails from him may get into their Inbox but once the recipient mark it as spam it'll be recognized as spam forever. But this only works for email providers like Gmail, Yahoo and etc, right?

What about users on Microsoft Outlook and etc? They don't have built-in spam filters like online email providers. So what is used to filter these emails?

Reason I want to know in detail about this is because I've got one client who I had to help get off the RBL list. He's repented but I would like to advice him on the healthiest practices for running his email marketing campaign. Like frequency, unsubscribe link, authentic receivers and etc.

I apologize for the trouble.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Danny,

As long as your client follows the 2 recommendations I linked to above in regards to permission and relevance, he won't have any filtering issues to worry about. While Outlook itself only has a content-based spam filter, many Outlook users in the business world will also have a server and possibly gateway level spam filter in place that will check all major RBL's.

The best approach is to forget about the technical side of delivery, and focus on ensuring you have explicit permission and send great, relevant emails.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098