Email Delivery Problem

I sent a campaign two days ago and I have found that it was sent to some people's junk folder and some have not received it at all. I tried sending another email to a recipient who had received it in his junk folder previously using the plain text format but again had the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this?

jackquil36, 6 years ago

hmm it is a big problem actually that appears time and again with any program software and to even the most pro email marketers out there.

Pay Close Attention to Your Subject Line

Example: “One Month Only - FREE delivery on any purchases over $29.99″

This kind of headlines do end up in spam as "FREE" is something most spam emails have got in their titles and spam filters are designed to get them in the junk. Try thinking other words that may trigger a spam alert. Other words are -
a lot

and so on...

Don't use attachments.

davidaf davidaf, 6 years ago

Those are some great suggestions from jackquil36, thanks! Also, remember to test test test! If you can send your emails to as many email addresses as possible to test for spam filters, then you can tweak your content as you need to get it past those filters. I've seen it before where the removal of a single word makes all the difference between it being filtered or not, so it's really best to do everything you can before sending out the actual email. Don't forget that our full design and spam tests are there for your final run to be sure that it's getting through all those filters!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
Ameeta, 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Before sending I had done the design and spam tests and it passed. Also I had saved a copy of the email sent and when i sent it to someone who I knew received it in junk before, it went to their inbox. I didnt change anything at all. The subject was the same as well as the content. So why would it get past the filters one time and get sent to junk another time?

andreand, 6 years ago

I'd like to read the answer to the Ameeta last post, please.

davidaf davidaf, 6 years ago

These can be tough to diagnose. The truth about the spam filters is that they are inscrutable and change greatly depending on the installation and past receiving history of the client. Filters are also set up at the ISP and receiving mail server, so emails are going through several different filters before they get delivered. It's hard to say, but it sounds like that Ameeta is saying that she sent the saved copy in her inbox to her friend. It could be that because she's sending the copy from her personal email that it went through.

When emails are sent from our servers, the "return path" address and "from" address don't match. The "return path" address goes back to us instead so that the reporting can happen. In this case, the server could be looking and say wait, the server in the "from" address doesn't say the server in the "return path" address is allowed.

This is why we suggest domain authentication, which basically tells the receiving server that we are authorized to send mail for that domain. In this case, domain authentication could help

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
andreand, 6 years ago

Thanks a lot for your response.
In my case, I used domain authentification ...

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free