HELP! Simply can't get a background image??!!

Like everyone on here - I am frustrated by not being able to have background images display properly through Outlook 2007 emails. I have searched web forums, help guides... pretty much for days trying to get the stupid things to work. (I'm trying to ensure all my clients can see my emails as I have complaints about no images showing, so am trying to learn better techniques)

I have tried to make the background image inside a table with code like:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" height="1007" style=" background-image:url(http://www.companyname.com/emails/dept/201002//images/Whole_thing.jpg);>

and I've tried:
<table width="600" height="1032" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#283418" style="background:url('images/Whole_thing.jpg') no-repeat;">

and:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="750" height="865" background="whole_thing.jpg">
and it's variant:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" height="1007" background="images/Whole_thing.jpg">

I even used a template from another office (that works) and replaced their background image with my own - still doesn't work. (and yes, I put the image in the same location)

NOTHING ever works?
I have loaded the image on my work server so it can be read from there - nope
I have tried zipping an images folder through Campaign Monitor as I have done millions of times before for other emails - nope
No matter what I do - Outlook 2007 wont find my image... I can see it in dreamweaver - i can preview it in FF everything is sweet web wise - I can even see it in Entourage. So it's there. But Outlook 2007 just wont find it.

Arrgghhhh - how on earth do you set an image as a background without fail?

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Outlook 2007 just doesn't support background images unfortunately - it is a side effect of it using MS Word as the rendering engine.

There are some limited ways in which you can sometimes get one to show - see http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/1777/body-background-images-outlook/

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
CengageHE, 6 years ago

Thanks Mat, but I think it's time to get a professional trainer into my office to show me where I go wrong in designing... damn these pre-outlook 2007 web courses...

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 6 years ago

Hi CengageHE,

I'm happy to assist if you need help when building your email campaigns. I understand these things can be frustrating, however if you understand the limitations then you can tweak your campaigns to use the best of all systems to get the best result.

My details are below should you wish to get in touch.

www.phenom.com.au - Everything Email.
Email: jordan.hunt@phenom.com.au Skype: fyredefyre
CengageHE, 6 years ago

Thanks Jordan... you're not in Melbourne are you?

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 6 years ago

Hi CengagHE,

I'm based in Sydney. Not quite Melbourne, but a phone call away should you need help.

www.phenom.com.au - Everything Email.
Email: jordan.hunt@phenom.com.au Skype: fyredefyre
Domainace, 6 years ago

I hope you are testing against emails with no background image. Generally, images are not a great idea unless they really move the recipient along into a desired action. I use Thunderbird, and my images are all turned off by default for security reasons and speed.

I think you'll find you get a better response to emails minus the bg image.

marketsamurai, 6 years ago

Thanks Jordan. And agree with Domainace

market samurai reviewmarket samurai review
market samurai review search engine optimization software search engine optimization software
CengageHE, 6 years ago

As much as I'd like to ignore the image issue - I work in marketing and we need bright, catchy email campaigns to attract out clients. A plain single coloured email simply isn't enough these days!

When I refer to a background image i don't mean the page, I mean within the body of the email. We had an example of an email that had text on top of a wood panelling effect - as this was part of the marketed product. Unfortunately the wood image disappeared in Outlook 07 and all the viewer got was a white background with light text on top. Not good for sales...I've had to learn to test against no image and to get the table to have a default background colour as a fall back. Better than nothing but boy - do the sales team complain!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098