background-image style being removed after email upload to templates

I've been using campaign monitor for a few years and have never ran into this problem before. I am styling links in the main body of my email to have background-images however when I upload them and preview the email the link styles do not appear in the css, at all. I tried commenting out the background-image part of the style whilst keeping the remaining styles for the link in and this time the style worked (without the image obviously).

I have been back and forth with this for a couple of hours now and slowly losing all my hair with the stress. Just wondered if any1 else has come across this before and has a fix? Thanks.

Style when uploading..

td#article a {
    background-position:2px 1px;
td#article a:hover {

Style AFTER uploading.. First part of code has been removed!

td#article a:hover {

Any help appreciated!

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Can you please contact support at campaignmonitor dot com with the files you are importing? One of our developers will take a look for you.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Ken Ken, 6 years ago

I've actaully replied to the request you've sent to our support, but I thought I'd put my answer here too, in case other people read this post and have similar problems.

This is actually a known issue. We've had to remove CSS styles that have an external reference from the header of HTML files to cater for a Outlook 2007 bug. Unfortunately, we're removing them from templates, when really all we need to do remove it from the final html file before it get's sent.

I've added your vote to have that bug fixed. It is scheduled in the next release (not the release we're currently working on, but the one after), so hopefully it will be fixed by mid to late April. We'll let you know when it has been fixed and deployed. We're really sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

The only work around the problem I can think of, is to remove the external reference from your template definition, and then include that background image style inline as the content is being created in the WYSIWYG editor. It's a pain, I know, but it's the only way to get around it.

Ken Ken, 6 years ago

I thought I should let you know, we've recently had a scheduling meeting, and this issue has unfortunately moved back to a later release. Hopefully it should be fixed and delpoyed by the end of May.

Sorry for the delay and the inconvenienced caused.
davidh, 6 years ago

We have just released an update that fixes this bug, so it should not be an issue for templates that are imported from now on.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free