What to do about the dags who use Hotmail/Live

What is it with Hotmail and Live users? They must be the lamest folks in the universe.

Over the past few years I have found that overwhelmingly the people who flag newsletters as spam are Hotmail and Live account holders.

One such recent spam flagging Hotmailer had received 27 campaigns over the best part of four years after a double opt in sub,  had been a consistent link clicker and had purchased product. I suppose she might have been sick of the message but to click the "Spam" button in Hotmail seems a bit tough after such a long and presumably mutually beneficial relationship especially when we make the Unsub link as obvious as the proverbial dog's whatsits.

It has now got to the point where we are removing new Hotmail addresses from our lists - even when it is a double op tin, They cannot be trusted and  we cannot afford for our  clients to be tagged with a bad reputation.

I would like to see CM give us the option to tell people with free email addresses such as Hotmail at the subscription form stage "Thanks for your interest but 'No Thanks'".

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 6 years ago

Hi Netmastery, hah! Sadly, a lot of webmail users don't know the difference between unsubscribing and hitting the "Spam" button. This does cause grief for good emailers who are justly concerned about their reputation, however generally the percentage of folks who report a given email campaign as spam is not great enough to cause any negative consequences.

Although we won't ever go as far as highlighting particular domains for automatic exclusion (as it's realistically, not fair), it is possible to segment your list to exclude domains like @hotmail.com, @msn.com and @live.com. We recently added a post that covers segmenting by domain, which you may be interested in. Many thanks again for your feedback!

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098