Hotmail Centering Text

Has anyone experienced hotmail centering text? If so does anyone know a workaround this?
Many Thanks

Diana Diana, 6 years ago

Hi Darren,

Do you have a table in your code that's centered (with an align="center")? If so that could be the culprit, a fix is to add align="left" in the td that contains your text.

D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
Dogmatix, 6 years ago

I'm in a similar situation, just spent the last 3 hours trying to fix this, still no joy :(

Trying to center a 600px wide email, but hotmail centers the email and all the text inside???

align="center" on the table, and overide with align="left" on the td

align="center" on a parent td, align="left" on the child table

align="center" on a parent td, align="left" on the child td etc etc.

Every combination I try still fails? Messe about with text-align and auto margins, no luck there either.

Is it even possible to have a centered email with left aligned text in Hotmail (IE8 in this case)?

Client is insisting email is aligned centre, not me btw :)
I have told them keeping it left is best.

Any knudge in the right direction appreciated.

tubbs, 6 years ago

It is possible. Try having a 100% width wrapper table with the <td> align centre then nest the 600px table within that and align left on all the <td>'s that require it.

BThies BThies, 6 years ago

As a tip, put all of your "align=" in <td>'s and not in <table> tags.

As tubbs wrote, using a 100% wrapper with the align="center" in the <td> will solve the alignment of the primary 600px table.  Any further nested tables should be aligned using the parent <td>'s.

To guarantee your text aligns correctly, place the text within a <div>, such as <div align="left">copycopy</div>.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
Dogmatix, 6 years ago

Now that sounded like the perfect solution, so I tried it, but still my text came out center aligned in hotmail. Having exhausted all logic, I was ready to admit defeat, when I thought maybe, just maybe, my way of testing might be influencing this... And sure enough it was!

I usually use an Outlook macro to send my early tests as an attachment, saves a few mins until I'm ready for the final test in CM. But after sending my test via CM, all was fine :)

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

PDD2010, 5 years ago

Here's an interesting hack if anyone would like it - fixes the non-centre table in hotmail:

Just add to the top of your css

/* Hotmail Centre Align Fix*/
.ReadMsgBody {width: 100%;}
.ExternalClass {width: 100%;}

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Thanks, PDD2010! FYI, we also have a post on this Hotmail alignment fix (with examples) in our blog. Worth a read for a little context on the fix above.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
skygod, 5 years ago

It's Outlook 2007 (and Outlook 2010)!!!

Sending mail from these applications causes the problems that you are describing.

I've just spent 4 days trying to sort it out. Using a desktop client with a standards based rendering engine (such as Thunderbird) works fine as does using a 3rd party campaign management service.

Outlook (since v2007) uses MS Word as the rendering engine and inserts a lot of M$ 'junk' that gets misinterpreted by the webmail hosts (especially Hotmail & Google when viewed using Internet Explorer).

Good Luck

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free