Something about my client's email database looks fishy

My client has a modest subscriber list, 200-something names from memory. I'm gearing up for this month's email newsletter and all of a sudden I get an email from the client with a spreadsheet attached bearing 1000-something new names and addresses. Now, I know that the client didn't just take on 1000 new customers, and I know 1000 people didn't just visit the website and sign up. So I'm thinking "purchased list".

Me: Hey you didn't just purchase this list on a CD or something did you?
Client: Nope! All legit!
Me: Are you.... sure?
Client: Yep! We just got all the sales guys to merge their addressbooks!

Basically, that sounds like bullshit. I just know that these 1000 new names didn't come from unshared Outlook addressbooks.

So what do I do? Tell the client I don't trust his list and refuse to ingest it?

Anyone else been in this sort of situation?

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi shg,

Some good spotting there :). You might ask them what they mean by merge their address books. Is everyone on their list still a paying customer? Just being in their address book doesn't mean permission and sales guys are pretty notorious for adding anyone who might some day possibly buy something or maybe have a cousin who knows someone who might become a customer...etc. So suddenly getting all their sales guys to share their address books (if that is what happened) could still smack of not having permission.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
shg, 7 years ago

Hi Diana,

Basically I think this client has purchased a database from somewhere and is making up bullshit about merging addressbooks. I was wondering if any other "send on behalf of client" CM users out there had ever been in this sort of situation, because right now the only thing I can see happening is me saying "No" and the client having a tantrum.

200,000 companies around the world can't be wrong.

From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on 
Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098