Something about my client's email database looks fishy

My client has a modest subscriber list, 200-something names from memory. I'm gearing up for this month's email newsletter and all of a sudden I get an email from the client with a spreadsheet attached bearing 1000-something new names and addresses. Now, I know that the client didn't just take on 1000 new customers, and I know 1000 people didn't just visit the website and sign up. So I'm thinking "purchased list".

Me: Hey you didn't just purchase this list on a CD or something did you?
Client: Nope! All legit!
Me: Are you.... sure?
Client: Yep! We just got all the sales guys to merge their addressbooks!

Basically, that sounds like bullshit. I just know that these 1000 new names didn't come from unshared Outlook addressbooks.

So what do I do? Tell the client I don't trust his list and refuse to ingest it?

Anyone else been in this sort of situation?

Diana Diana, 6 years ago

Hi shg,

Some good spotting there :). You might ask them what they mean by merge their address books. Is everyone on their list still a paying customer? Just being in their address book doesn't mean permission and sales guys are pretty notorious for adding anyone who might some day possibly buy something or maybe have a cousin who knows someone who might become a customer...etc. So suddenly getting all their sales guys to share their address books (if that is what happened) could still smack of not having permission.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
shg, 6 years ago

Hi Diana,

Basically I think this client has purchased a database from somewhere and is making up bullshit about merging addressbooks. I was wondering if any other "send on behalf of client" CM users out there had ever been in this sort of situation, because right now the only thing I can see happening is me saying "No" and the client having a tantrum.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098