Is it safe to use border css inline for HTML emails?

I seem to have some issues with adding inline CSS with borders in my HTML emails. Is there some trick to using them, ie. placing the inline style in the <td> tag of your table? Outlook 2007 seems to hate them all together.

I've been avoiding using inline css altogether to avoid this issues, but I would like to learn it a bit better. Does anyone have some do and dont's about using borders?

BThies BThies, 6 years ago

A few things to keep in mind:

- In a row of a single table, all the <td>'s must have the same top or bottom borders.  So if you have two <td>'s in a row and one has a top border, they both must have a top border.  The workaround is to nest a table in the <td> that requires the border, and add the border to the single <td> of that nested table.

- In a column of a single table, all the <td>'s must have the same right or left borders.  You can use the same above workaround and simply nest a table.

- When it comes to left and right borders, you also need to make sure your <table> & <td>'s add up correctly taking into account the border width.  (This includes nested tables!)

Using these methods, you won't have an issue with Outlook 2007.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
biaj, 6 years ago

Thank you for the info. Do you have any examples?

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free