Error when adding htm file created in Word. HELP!

I've created a file in Indesign from CS2, saved it as a jpeg and now need an html file to upload to campaign monitor. I don't have Dreamweaver.  Word allows you to save an htm file so I imported the jpeg, that's all I need to send to by database, and saved it. The error that came up in campaign monitor was to add <$title$> and the unsubscribe tag. Did that, resaved but it still comes up with the same error.  What am i doing wrong? Do these tags need to be in a specific spot?? As you can tell, I'm a newbie!

Stig Stig, 6 years ago

Hi, there's a few things that seem to be causing problems here.

Based on the error you're posting, it seems like you're importing your campaign under the Templates tab instead of during the campaign creation process. The files you can upload under the Templates tab are HTML files with special template tags that allow you to edit the content online.

Instead, have a look at this guide to sending campaigns that are not based on such templates.

Also, I should mention that, while Word has a "save as HTML" option, it isn't a suitable HTML editor, and is likely to cause a lot of issues with importing campaigns, as well as rendering issues for your recipients. You might want to check out Nvu instead, or some other options here.

And from the sounds of it, you were planning to send an email that contains only a large image, which is something I'd recommend reconsidering. Many email clients block images by default, so placing all the content inside an image can result in a rather poor experience for your subscribers.

See our email makeover posts for some tips and ideas.

Hope that helps, but let us know if you have any more trouble.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098