<dl>, <dd> in HTML emails?

I'm thinking of using <dl> and <dd> in my HTML emails to get lines or sections indented. Can anyone comment on how well that is rendered by the vast array of email clients out there?

I know there are a number of other ways to do this, including strings of &nbsp; entities and CSS, but I'm using a really nice HTML-to-text converter (Detagger from jafsoft.com) and it is messing up on those other methods, but it handles <dl> and <dd> nicely. (I.e. it leaves the line indented, using only spaces rather than the high-ASCII non-breaking space, which I suspect is undesirable in plain-text emails.)

Thanks.

Stormy Stormy, 9 years ago

Now this is curious - on checking the ever-popular Email Standards Project, I can see a number of examples of email clients showing varying support for the definition list tag, but this doesn't seem to have been picked up on - almost all clients will display the text in the list with no problem, but at a glance it looks like only Gmail, Hotmail and Outlook 2007 support it correctly (although saying 2007's support of it is 100% correct is stretching the term).

For now, I'd say steer well clear of these tags if you want them for indentation - the majority of people will not see any. I'd suggest wrapping it in a <p> and using an inline padding-left to achieve the indent.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

200,000 companies around the world can't be wrong.

From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on 
Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098