<dl>, <dd> in HTML emails?

I'm thinking of using <dl> and <dd> in my HTML emails to get lines or sections indented. Can anyone comment on how well that is rendered by the vast array of email clients out there?

I know there are a number of other ways to do this, including strings of &nbsp; entities and CSS, but I'm using a really nice HTML-to-text converter (Detagger from jafsoft.com) and it is messing up on those other methods, but it handles <dl> and <dd> nicely. (I.e. it leaves the line indented, using only spaces rather than the high-ASCII non-breaking space, which I suspect is undesirable in plain-text emails.)

Thanks.

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Now this is curious - on checking the ever-popular Email Standards Project, I can see a number of examples of email clients showing varying support for the definition list tag, but this doesn't seem to have been picked up on - almost all clients will display the text in the list with no problem, but at a glance it looks like only Gmail, Hotmail and Outlook 2007 support it correctly (although saying 2007's support of it is 100% correct is stretching the term).

For now, I'd say steer well clear of these tags if you want them for indentation - the majority of people will not see any. I'd suggest wrapping it in a <p> and using an inline padding-left to achieve the indent.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098