Buying Credits

I love CM and don't mind if my clients pay a little more than the cut -rate of a self-service competitor - But when buying in bulk, or you say credits, I think of real savings, and I really don't see them yet as I can calculate -- which is really why I am writing this topic:

Buying credits is way more complicated than it should be. I don't mind doing the math behind the scenes, but I shouldn't have to explain the credit system to my clients.

It's fine if you want to charge me my markup rate for 50,000 emails, and then let me figure how much more to charge if I have to deduct 50,000 from, say, the 78,000 credits my clients want to purchase. And then take 28,000 and multiple that by the next tier deduction within credit system.

But explaining this over the phone or in an email to a client isn't easy, and when they do understand it, and they will, it is a harder sell. And will they remember how the system works when they buy more credits online with your very handy calculator - I need this calculator because I loose track myself

So what do I wish - this: that however I need to do the math fine, but all my client needs to see when they go to buy more credits is the the average cost for buying all credits.

And another wish I have, and we discussed at one point. I would like my clients to have the opportunity to buy more credits rather than their card being charge the standard rate if they are only short  10 or 15 credits (or however many) when ready to send a campaign.

Do you have a note on purchase pages saying how many credits they have remaining and how much more they need to purchase before their card is charged?

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I am not totally sure I understand your point, but are you basically saying you don't like that the credits are priced in a tiered system?

As far as knowing how many credits they need, it is only one credit per email (and 500 to send) so in the case where they do need to buy just a few more, they could go ahead and buy those from their billing section, if they wanted to.

Just paying the remainder on the card though is what most people want to do, so that's the option shown to them directly.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
oatmeal oatmeal, 6 years ago

Hi Mathew,

I think what he/she is saying is that the system is complicated to explain to the customer.  I have actually been having difficulty calculating the cost myself vs using the calculator you folks have on the "Buy email credits" page. 

Here is how I understand it:

First 50,000 = 1.0 cent
Next 50,001 - 100,000 = 0.8 cents
Next 100,001 - 250,000 = 0.7 cents
Next 250,001 - 500,000 = 0.6 cents
Any above 500,000 = 0.5 cents

So if I wish to purchase 150,000 credits:

((50,000 x 1.0 cents = $500.00) + (100,000 x 0.8 cents = $800.00)) = $1300.00

But the calculator says it will cost $1250.00

Can you clarify, and let me know what I am doing wrong here.

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

You may just be misreading the tiers a bit there. Your calculation should be

First 50,000: $500
Next 50,000: $400
Next 50,000: $350

Adding up to $1250. The 0.8 cent tier is from 50,001 to 100,000. Is that clearer?

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free