Inline CSS Convertor

Is there any interest in a utitlity that convertors standard CSS to inline css for e-mails?

I have kind of be developing some software of and on for the past few months and I'm pretty near completeing it to do just this.

I often get a lot of html from designers that don't know how to code html for email clients, and it is sometimes painstaking to convert them. Especially if they use css styles in the head tags.

Just wondering if anybody is interested or if I have a market for my program?

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

There's actually already a really good script out there that does this called premailer. Check it out, and if you don't think it solves your problem then by all means look at creating your own version. We think it's pretty sweet.

IntoXicateD, 8 years ago

Dave (or anybody else) if you could please download my program. I would appreciate your feedback as I know I could do alot of neat things to make this better.

You may need to download the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework if you don't already have it.

After you install it - You will get a Nag - Just press "Open Next Helpful Registration" and enter your email and you will get a serial number sent to you.

Right now it doesn't support a few things, but I have an alpha release that is going to rectify that soon.

Tell me what you think, thanks!

a.m.organicity, 8 years ago

speaking of helpful software tools...

is there a Hotmail html hex decoder (when you send to Hotmail, it hex encodes your message, so when you 'View Source', you get goobly gook instead of your original html) 

Decoding this makes it easy to see what Hotmail is doing to your markup - I learned ALOT from doing this

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

As far as I'm aware, if you're using the new Live version you can right-click on the email in the inbox and click 'view source' for something clean.

As a bit of a 'hack' solution for the mangled source... *rolls up sleeves*

paste the offending code into notepad and do a find/replace on \x (convert it to %). Then, copy+paste the replaced text into the handy little tool at You should now have some readable code.

(edit: Note this is definitely NOT a firm fix, I'm pondering working on a better solution.)

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
a.m.organicity, 8 years ago

thanx stormy, i didn't know that about Live (cause i never looked i guess)

That menu item seems to be the only way you can get to the source.  I checked a few of the frames' source, but no content.  It's nice they include the email headers, etc.  There is a small amount of encoding,

i had quickly written a decoder for myself the other day, but not sure if it is of any use now!?!

aognenoff, 8 years ago

I'm a big fan of Notepad++ as it has built in support for doing these decodings/conversions - even supports BASE64 and UUdecoding.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

We've actually been doing a big chunk of research into how Hotmail's hex encoding works, and found a few surprises. We'll be posting something about it in the next few days. It's not pretty.

IntoXicateD, 8 years ago

Well I would be very interested to see your findings on the hex encoding issue at Hotmail. Moving back to my original post about a CSS Inline Converter. Could anyone here try it out and give me some feedback. I've been using it/programming for the past few months and It has been a fun experience.

Just hit it up at:
Then will send u a registration key.

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Falls over with whatever I'm throwing at it. And I'm using very basic test files. It doesn't even seem to see the link to the style sheet.

I think you need to do a lot more internal testing before throwing this to the wolves.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free