Autoresponder Triggered from API

Hi All,  I was wondering whether the FANTASTIC new autoresponder feature allows us techies to trigger the sending of an autoresponder-linked email using the API?  In other words, can I send ad hoc emails using the email without incurring the delivery charge?  If not, can we expect this feature any time soon?

I really love this product and company.  Brilliant work guys!

scree, 6 years ago

Need the same feature here. Any update?

jamesd jamesd, 6 years ago

Yes, if you subscribe someone to your list via the API and you have a subscription-based autoresponder attached to your list, the autoresponder is triggered.

amobbs amobbs, 6 years ago

Thanks for coming back to me on this question jamesd.  I possibly didn't ask the question correctly though so here goes again...

We have a lot of clients for whom we send regular emails to individual clients based on certain events.  For example, we have an accountant who would like to remind individual customers to contact him 7 days in advance of when their next corporation tax return is due.  These emails are triggered based on certain events and normally only 1 email is sent at a time but perhaps 2,000 will be sent in any given week or month.  What I would really like to do is consolidate all email campaigns within CM so that our clients can track clicks and use your great analytics for the purposes of customer interaction analysis.  So ideally what I am looking for is the ability to use your new ad hoc (delivery-free) facility to be able to trigger the sending of an email from my application but have it delivered through CM.  Is that possible at all?  Will it be possible anytime soon?

I hope that describes the use case a little better.

jamesd jamesd, 6 years ago
amobbs :

For example, we have an accountant who would like to remind individual customers to contact him 7 days in advance of when their next corporation tax return is due.  These emails are triggered based on certain events and normally only 1 email is sent at a time but perhaps 2,000 will be sent in any given week or month.  What I would really like to do is consolidate all email campaigns within CM so that our clients can track clicks and use your great analytics for the purposes of customer interaction analysis.  So ideally what I am looking for is the ability to use your new ad hoc (delivery-free) facility to be able to trigger the sending of an email from my application but have it delivered through CM.  Is that possible at all?  Will it be possible anytime soon?

Yes it's definitely possible. You'll need to add a date type custom field to your list(s) and import the correct date value for each subscriber. You then configure an autoresponder based on that date type custom field and your emails will be sent to your subscribers based on their date value.

How you get your lists in the right state with the right date data from your own application is your choice. Not sure if you're using the API already, but you could use the Subscriber.AddWithCustomFields method or something similar to get your date values in there.

You might like to see our Autoresponders FAQs or our recent "Kickstart your autoresponders with these 5 simple ideas" blog post.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098