Custom field values emptied on update

Hi,

I have a "simple" signup form on a website that allows users to sign up to offers. It has Name & Email fields, but also a hidden field that has a fixed value of the offer they are signing up to (All offers), so we can maintain one list and just segment it when needed. All works great.

We have just come to create a similar form for another offer (Free drinks). When a user adds their details to the form, it does add their details, but if they have already added their details to the list before doing this. The hidden field value gets over written by the new forms value and not added.

So I have two questions.
   1. Is this the best way to go about segmenting the list? Or will it cause issues when I try to segment it?

2. Should it be overwriting the data already stored?

Thanks

Ash

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Yes, it is the intended behaviour that signing up the same email address again with different custom fields will overwrite the existing values.

How would you like it to behave?

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
simonr, 6 years ago

Hi,

This is something I've been requesting for a long time, there are a number of posts on the forums regarding this.

What I would like is to be given the option to combine custom field memberships:

i.e. with a custom field "Group", which is used to segment a list

1. John Smith, member of "Web subscribers" Group
2. Upload a CSV of users who we wish to add to a new Group "Launch invitees"

Current functionality after import:
John Smith, member of "Launch invitees", is no longer a member of "Web subscribers"

Desired functionality:
John Smith, member of "Launch invitees" and "Web subscribers"

This is becoming a bit of a deal breaker, it's looking like our only option is write a custom API based import tool that will manage this. A couple of our clients are getting itchy to move service as they don't see why they should have to use an extra tool for imports..

Any comment would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Si.

cloud9, 6 years ago
simonr :

Hi,

This is something I've been requesting for a long time, there are a number of posts on the forums regarding this.

What I would like is to be given the option to combine custom field memberships:

i.e. with a custom field "Group", which is used to segment a list

1. John Smith, member of "Web subscribers" Group
2. Upload a CSV of users who we wish to add to a new Group "Launch invitees"

Current functionality after import:
John Smith, member of "Launch invitees", is no longer a member of "Web subscribers"

Desired functionality:
John Smith, member of "Launch invitees" and "Web subscribers"

This is becoming a bit of a deal breaker, it's looking like our only option is write a custom API based import tool that will manage this. A couple of our clients are getting itchy to move service as they don't see why they should have to use an extra tool for imports..

Any comment would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Si.

Like he said :) It should be able to group the data, when needed in a easy way to turn off when not needed.

felisimina, 5 years ago

The custom field type of "Multiple Options (can select many)" would be an ideal field type where importing/updating should not overwrite the field but actually add to the field with double pipe separation.  However CM currently overwrites these 'Mutliple Options (can select many)' field types with whatever is in the imported file

I have a client who is segmenting their subscribers by interests in a particular field.  Using this custom field type means that each interest does not have to be created as a custom field - which would be a problem with the 20 custom field limit. 

@CampaignMonitor - is there a way of importing subscribers such that the custom field type of "Multiple Options (can select many)" is not overwritten but is appended with double pipe separation?

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098