Auto-subscribe thread authors to topic

Hi folks,

I've started a few threads here on the forum recently and a couple of times I've forgotten to click the "Subscribe to this thread" link at the bottom of my message. As a result, I've forgotten about checking the discussion once or twice.

This is no big deal of course, but I thought it would make sense to automatically subscribe the thread author to their own topics.

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Mmm, personally I'd side against this - it's fine for one or two pertinent answers, but if a thread takes off and you don't get a chance to check emails for a day, you can end up with a barrage of emails all saying the same thing.

Of course, the best solution would be to choose in your profile whether your default choice is to subscribe or not?

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Both decent suggestions guys, we'll be looking into this and the CAPTCHA option shortly.

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Dave, when looking into CAPTCHA options, you may want to check on some alternatives as there are details of a few spambots being able to decrypt some less sophisticated ones.

I know PHPBB has a facility where instead of a CAPTCHA, they present a simple mathematical formula where you need to give the answer. A bit friendlier than some hard-to-read image and just as effective.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free