Feature Request : Web Hooks

I'd like to request that web hooks be added to Campaign Monitor, for common events such as list subscriptions / unsubscriptions, and profile updates.

This would make it possible for third party add-ons (such as my own Campaigner add-on, for ExpressionEngine) to properly sync with Campaign Monitor, an oft requested feature.

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Thanks for the request Stephen. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'properly sync'?

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
andjules, 6 years ago

+1 for callbacks. I also am developing a 3rd party model w/ extra functionality and my app needs to be informed when the user (in the whitelabeled CM interface):
- creates a new list
- sends a campaign

jamesd jamesd, 6 years ago

Hey guys,

Just letting you know that we do have a feature request for web hooks and definitely see the benefit of implementing these. I've added your votes.

We haven't yet scheduled this feature, but we'll let you know here when we do.

StephenLewis, 5 years ago

Sorry for the slow response; I wasn't notified of new comments on this thread.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'properly sync'?

In terms of my aforementioned ExpressionEngine add-on, it's possible for me to update a CM mailing list when an EE user updates his subscription preferences via the EE member profile area.

What I can't do (and which web hooks would facilitate) is update the EE member profile when a subscriber updates his subscription preferences via CM, by clicking on an unsubscribe link in an email, and so forth.

Thanks for the update James.

JonJoyce, 5 years ago

When the user next uses your plugin/logs in etc, you could retrieve the current subscriber details and update your end with that data? Not the most elegant solution but its a workaround?

Jonathon Joyce

StephenLewis, 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Jonathan.

The user will probably be looking at an entirely separate part of ExpressionEngine, and expecting it all to be in sync.

I may be able to trigger a sync in response to a certain user action, but as you said, it's not the most elegant solution; particularly if a lot of changes have happened, and the page subsequently takes an age to load.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the web hooks, for the time being.

cilkay, 5 years ago

I've just started evaluating CM and see this as an essential feature for adopting any third-party emailing solution. We already have member databases in our Django applications. We don't want to have to make an API call to get the state of a member/subscriber in CM every time we want to make some change on the Django side. It would be much better if state changes on the CM side could trigger a callback to a URL that we would designate informing us of the state change for the given member so that we could take appropriate action on the Django side.

Even better would be for us to have complete control over at which end, our end or the CM end, state changes can be done. For instance, if we do an email blast asking people to take some action and they click through on the link, that will change their state in CM. I'd rather have that link be in our domain so that we can capture any information we need from the URL and then make the API call to change the state of the member in CM.

jamesd jamesd, 5 years ago

Just confirming that we're currently planning on allowing you to specify a callback url for certain subscriber-based events (WebHooks) such as subscribes, unsubscribes, updates to a subscriber's details etc.

We'll be sure to let you know here when it's been released.

dizzystuff, 5 years ago

Hi Guys, I've found the MailChimp web hooks implementation to be simple and powerful. I'm sure you've probably cast an eye over it already, but if you haven't it'd be worth it IMHO. RSS to Email isn't necessary on all integration projects (the other feature that has pushed me to MailChimp recently) but if your syncing a mailing list with a cms user db I've found web hooks critical to maintaining data integrity (specifically when email address is used as the primary login info, the real time sync is important).  Sounds like you're working on something akin to this already, just wanted to add my two cents. Cheers.

thibaudgg, 5 years ago

jamesd jamesd, 5 years ago

Thanks for your support in voting for this feature guys. I can say that we'll be announcing the release of list and subscriber-based webhooks very shortly.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi folks, we're pleased to say that webhooks are here, so your apps can receive real-time updates whenever a change happens to your subscriber lists.

Right now, we have 3 types of webhooks available, all administered via the API. We've also introduced batch updates, too. You can read about it here.

Many thanks for your patience while we've toiled away on this - we've certainly appreciated all your feedback along the way.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
bc173, 5 years ago

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free