The ethics of rebranding and markup-profits

Hi fellow CM users and CM-crew

I'm contemplating reselling Campaign Monitor to my clients, but have some trouble justifying the extra cost added when I markup the rates for sending.

What value is it that a reseller can add? Because as I see it now, any client who later discovers Campaign Monitor will feel somehow stupid, having used "my" email marketing system, at a bigger cost than they could have just signed up directly with Campaign Monitor to do.

Added cost is okay if there is value added, but I don't see where that value is added. If the UI could be translated, and the colors customized more than the few presets, that would be a start. But what else?

How do the rest of you go about charging the client a higher fee and hoping the client never hears of Campaign Monitor and thinks - hey - that's the same as the one I have, but at a much lower price...

Just wanting to hear your thoughts on this, not wanting to start a heated debate or anything;-)

Oliver

ferdegje, 6 years ago

Hi Oliver,

I think you are right that if your pitch is to sell exactly the same service than the one of Campaign Monitor, you would have trouble justifying the markup, ie if your sales speech is "Look, we have built a great system where you can create your campaign, add your subscribers and send it for 5$+0.01$/email" then it is likely to fail.
The markup becomes justifiable as soon as you add something that Campaign Monitor is not doing. For example, designing the email or presenting list of subscribers (that your client is allowed to contact). Then the markup just becomes a way of charging an extra fee for the extra service your provide.

Hope that makes sense ? good debate though and really hope nobody just try to sell Campaign Monitor package by just rebranding it, or good luck to them and poor investors ;-)

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

It is a fair question - what we would encourage you to do is become *really* useful to your clients. That could be by talking to them about what their email is actually meant to achieve, and then providing a template that supports those goals.

I talk about this quite a lot in the Campaign Monitor book actually, you can get some free chapters from Sitepoint that might help.

Custom templates, but also working with them to modify their design over time, based on feedback, on their report stats etc.

Help them to discover what kind of content is most successful in their campaigns, and encourage them to write more about that. Work with them to make better use of custom fields to personalise their emails, or to make smarter segments that help them create more specific newsletters.

Basically, don't just provide the software and leave the rest up to them - then you really aren't adding much. Instead, find out what they want to do with email and help them do it.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
NickoLabs NickoLabs, 6 years ago
Mathew :

It is a fair question - what we would encourage you to do is become *really* useful to your clients. That could be by talking to them about what their email is actually meant to achieve, and then providing a template that supports those goals.

Custom templates, but also working with them to modify their design over time, based on feedback, on their report stats etc.

Help them to discover what kind of content is most successful in their campaigns, and encourage them to write more about that. Work with them to make better use of custom fields to personalize their emails, or to make smarter segments that help them create more specific newsletters..

I'll add to Mattew's comment...

The extra fee is also for Support! I have yet to know a client that can code HTML in my place! Or a client that would rather do his own debugging (Argh! The paaaain!!) instead of asking me to do so... Or a client that will add his own extra custom field to there subscribe form...

Also, since the software, the (great!) support team and forums are in English, most foreign language client (such as my whole clients base, who talks French) would be lost without our personalized service and support.

It's not all about selling the software, but more with selling the support and expertise associated with the usage of this software!

Just my two cents...

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
webmatros, 6 years ago

Thanks all three of you for the replies

Matthew, I already have your book - it's a good read;-)

Regarding the design services and advice / consultancy I see more sense in billing that separately, by the hour?

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

That's up to you really - some people include it as part of an upfront estimated project cost, others per hour.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098