Explaining errenously high open/clickthrough for a single subscriber

For a recent campaign, one subscriber has apparently opened the email 2,965 times and clicked through 911 times.

Clearly, the person involved didn't actually DO that. Well, I assume they didn't. Maybe they just have some serious OCD issues...

Precluding that explanation, though; I'm at a bit of a loss to suggest what might have caused such an anomaly. Might their email client be automatically opening the email (for instance, in a preview pane) and prefetching links? Their tracking activity data doesn't support that; the subscriber appears to be clicking a number of links in the email, but at different rates at different times. Sometimes only one or two, sometimes several. Could there be an issue with the way the link tracking is set up in Campaign Monitor? Our client is asking for an explanation of the numbers and I don't know what to tell them....

NickoLabs NickoLabs, 6 years ago

Greetings benc

This can happens if the subscriber forward the message using his own email software. If he does that, his analytics and statistics information will be shared, therefore giving you those weird stats.

The same would happen if you would share your personal webversion link (the one your received from the campaign, in you email)... every twitter click, Facebook user that would view the webversion would count as a "open/click" under your subscriber information.

I had a subscriber doing that in one of my campaign: he forwarded the email to the whole company and all click were under his name in the statistics...

Therefore, I would suggest putting a "Forward this email" link, making use of the built-in forwarding tool from CM. Every email from this forms will be stripped of the personal analytics, but still account in the "forwarded X time" stats.

I hope this is of some help!

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
benc, 6 years ago

Of course! D'oh. Thanks :)

NickoLabs NickoLabs, 6 years ago
benc :

Of course! D'oh. Thanks :)

You're welcome! I had the same problem so I know how it feels!

Also, we discussed in another thread the possibility of having social media sharing tool integrated in CM... That would probably solve this "issue".

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098