Problem with Formatting <$description$>

We have a great designed newsletter and we were able to get the large part of the newsletter to pull formatting for the description and title tags. This area was also the repeating portion.

Then we went to one of the side columns where we would place just intro text, such as 'Things are new this month' but no matter what I do I can't get the style sheet formatting to apply to the description area. It keeps going to default black times like font. Here's what I've placed.

<$description default='<p class="text">Enter text here</p>'$>

The style is this in the HTML:

.text {
    font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica;
    font-size: 11px;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: normal;
    color: #4d4d4d;
    line-height: 17px;
    font-weight: normal;
    text-align: left;
    background-position: left;
    vertical-align: top;
    letter-spacing: 1px;
}

What I'm also noticing is somehow the name of the description, i.e. $description default= seems to not be independent. If you use it somewhere else without changing default to some other word it seems to try to connect to that style. Am I missing something? I was able to get it work once by having the $description line duplicated one on top of the other. The top then was wrong but the bottom one was right. I'm a bit lost and spent 45 minutes on this and thought I should ask the community for help. I'm a new user so just getting the hang of things but this is the only real problem I'm encountering.

ashantieaton, 6 years ago

I was able to make this work but I had to remove the extra details in the description field. This is what worked, but I'm thinking shouldn't it work with the additional info too?

<font class="text"><$description$></font>

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

A description element can contain one or more paragraphs, so your  best option is to apply the style to all pragraphs inside that description, like so

<style type="text/css">
.column p {
    font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica;
    font-size: 11px;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: normal;
    color: #4d4d4d;
    line-height: 17px;
    font-weight: normal;
    text-align: left;
    background-position: left;
    vertical-align: top;
    letter-spacing: 1px;
}

and in your HTML

<div class="column">
<$description default='Enter text here'$>
</div>

The style will be applied inline to each paragraph inside that div, no matter if there is 1 or 20, so they'll all be the same.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098