Which monthly plan for multiple lists with overlap?

I'm considering switching over to a monthly fee, but I'm confused about which plan I need.

I've got three subscriber lists:

- List 1 (6,500 subscribers, 2 mailings/month): People subscribed to job mailinglist.
- List 2 (5,500 subscribers, 2 mailings/year): People subscribed to promotions mailinglist.
- List 3 (250 subscribers, only used once): People that subscribed and attended an offline event a few years ago.

Those three lists have big overlaps. One subscriber can be subscribed to all of the above lists.

The three lists together count 12,092 subscribers which puts me in the $250/month plan. Is that what I'll have to pay? Even if I only use List 1 on a regularly base and sporadically List 2 and never List 3? It looks more reasonable for me to pay the $100/month based on the number of unique subscribers.

Or do I need to consolidate List 1 and List 2, create segments and remove List 3 from my account? If so, It'll be a little more complex to update those lists...

jon@thisisbliss.com, 6 years ago

I have this issue as well. I have 350,000 subscribers listed, but only about 30,000 of these are unique. Surely the monthly plan should be worked out on unique subscribers (the actual number of potential recipients), not the number of individual items in lists?

beley, 6 years ago

I agree, it should not be uniques per list added up, but TOTAL uniques per client account. I duplicated one of my subscriber lists for a special one-time mailing and thus had 18,000 subscribers instead of 9,000, though there were clearly NOT 18,000 unique subscribers.

I was going to have to pay $250/month for the ability to have more than one list with the same people on it?  That doesn't make sense.

It also doesn't make sense to just use segmentation, because in my case I wanted my subscribers to be able to unsubscribe from the special one-time only promotion (sending an email every day for 10 days) and still not unsub from the main list.

This should definitely be worked out... I've deleted the one-time list and am using monthly billing but it's only a matter of time before I will want to do that again.

bc173, 6 years ago

I would appreciate a reply from a CM representative...

bc173, 6 years ago

CM's reply:

"It's true that we do charge for total subscribers across lists rather than unique subscribers. We recommend that in those cases that you integrate the lists and segment them out instead of keeping separate ones, it's really the only way to get your cost down a tier."

innovactions, 6 years ago

About the CM's replay.

CM says to consolidate in one list, and do segments.

But if one segment is a "sub-list" of a specific interest, and one subscriber unsubscribe THAT interest, he will deleted from the list, even if he can wish to receive emails for the other interests.

How to handle this need and save money

bc173, 6 years ago

@innovactions I had exactly the same question. This was CM's answer:

"... Please remember that with segments you can also set up a preference center where your subscribers can adjust which newsletters they are receiving based on the segments they belong to ..."

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free