Email link issues - mailto subject and body copy

Hiya,

A client of ours has asked that we include some specific copy in the body of a mailto link... no worries i thought.

On doing some testing, have found that Hotmail doesn't recognise the %0D%0A (when coding manually) or CM's own line breaks (via the link editor if using a template) and so any copy intended to be multi-line / separated over multiple lines is displayed in one block.

Yahoo, doesnt include the subject line or the body copy at all, and in the case of another webmail client Hoarde the links actually break when trying to specify a subject line and body.

Was wondering if other people had similar experiences, and thought it might be an idea of CM to indicate to people when editing templates that subject lines / body text support appears to be a bit flaky.

If people are able to test other clients and post here that it works or not that would be grand.

R

Richard.Wendon Richard.Wendon, 6 years ago

*bump*

*bump*

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 6 years ago

Hi Richard, I'm sorry this has sat in the forums for so long, but I've finally done a little testing myself. My results are the same as yours - no subject and body in Gmail, no subject line in Yahoo!, %0D%0A not working in Hotmail. That said, Apple Mail, iPhone/iPad and Outlook work fine with mailto links.

I've had clients that have insisted on adding mailto links to their email newsletters, but our stance here is that it's preferable to link to a contact form instead. Reasons being:

- It's trackable
- You can add default message text, style up the form and add autoresponders (eg. "We'll respond to your enquiry shortly..." -type messages)
- There's less risk of exposing the email address in mention unnecessarily

I think this is a great idea for a blog post, so thanks for sharing your experiences here. Unfortunately I can't seem to find an alternative workaround, so I guess it's just another one of those HTML email coding scenarios - mailto links may work, but just not as desired in every email client.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

thats ok (apologies for bumps)... many thanks for doing some cross client testing. i must remember to subscribe to my topics... (can you guys make that button more obvious)

Cheers

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098