Questions before I commit

Hi!

I'm currently using Constant Contact and hate it. But I need to know a few things before I switch all of my subscribers over to CM. I've been testing Campaign Monitor on a pay-per-use basis with a small subscriber list. I love the professional interface and ease of use for designers.

My questions are:

1. I need to know how unsubscribes are handled. Are they still counted in the number of subscribers for billing purposes?
2. I will maintain several lists, some of which will have subscribers on multiple lists. Will subscribers have the ability to unsubscribe from some lists but remain on others?
3. With multiple lists, will a single subscriber on more than one list count as a single subscriber or as one per list?

Final question. What software do you use for this forum? I love it!  :)

Thanks!

renee

Greg Strutton Greg Strutton, 6 years ago

Hi renee,

Thanks for the post.  Here are the answers for you.

1)  When set up on a pay as you send, you pay for your campaign before send.  So it includes any subscribers that may later bounce.  If your on a monthly plan, bounces are not counted in the recipient count and will not be used for billing.
2)  You can control how each list handles unsubscribes.  The default setting is each list will be controlled by the global suppression list.  But, you can set up each list to work independently.  For more information on how this is set up please see How do suppression lists work?
3)  If a subscriber is on multiple lists, it will be counted as one per list.

The Forum software we use is a heavily modified version of PunBB

I hope that helps you!

fertilepress, 6 years ago

Thanks for the response, Greg. The only hangup is the answer to #3. Here's my situation. Perhaps you can tell me how to accomplish what I need without being charged for a single user on multiple lists.

I sell access to video training content. A person may register for free content. That same person may later signup for paid content access. Then, later still, the same person may signup for a new paid content area. I need to be able to send the following emails to this user:

1. Marketing emails announcing new content. This list is broad...everyone who registers whether free or otherwise. This list they may unsubscribe from without question and their unsubscribe status needs to be maintained and honored.
2. The first paid content area is considered a "class." There are weekly updates with communication between the instructor and students. I would use CM to send out the emails from the instructor to all students. Students may unsubscribe but are warned that if they do they will not receive anymore correspondence related to the class.
3. The 2nd paid content area is considered a different "class." Same rules apply as #2.

I need to be able to operate these lists independently but would not like to be charged for a single individual who is on three lists. Is there a workaround for this? I've thought about segmenting a single list, but haven't come up with a way to do that, since the tool I use to manage the user database and access to protected content is table driven.

Thanks!

renee

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Segmenting in Campaign Monitor would be the best way to go - see http://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/entry/1695/creating-and-using-segments/

You may be able to keep your lists separate on your end, but store them in one list in Campaign Monitor? It really depends on your specific set up.

Otherwise I'm afraid storing them in separate lists does mean have any duplicates double counted. Are your lists very highly duplicated?

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
fertilepress, 6 years ago

Thanks, Matthew. I've tried segmenting but since my database is based on tables, it's hard to identify specific fields within the records that I can use for segmentation. Yes, they are very highly duplicated. And, in fact, that is our goal. If we're successful, everyone will take every class.

I don't think it's going to work for me. As much as I hate other things about it, Constant Contact only charges me for unique email addresses.

Thanks again for your help.

renee

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098