Customers who opened this email problems

Hi,

It appears that a lot of our clients are opening our emails, but they are not appearing on the tracking stats. Is this something to do with reading from mobile devices, or automatic redirects to other inboxes, perhaps?

Cheers,

Gary

fantasticthinking fantasticthinking, 6 years ago

Hi Gary,

A lot of email clients have images turned off by default. If images are not loaded, the opens cannot be tracked.
Could it be something to do with that?

Regards,
Yann

Fantastic Thinking

From one-off email campaigns to global website rollouts, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you plan and deliver your online brand ambitions.
GaryEbury GaryEbury, 6 years ago

Oh that's interesting. That must be the answer. Just out of interest: why is that the case?

fantasticthinking fantasticthinking, 6 years ago

In specifics, that would be a question for Campaign Monitor. But I believe it's down to a 'download count' on these images. Since the images are hosted once the email is sent (in order to be downloadable when the email is opened), there may be some tracking utility on, say, the first image in your template. Once the image is downloaded, it would add 1 to the 'open' count.

I may be completely off, but it would be something along those lines. The links must be tracked in a similar way as they are redirected through a Campaign Monitor url.

Fantastic Thinking

From one-off email campaigns to global website rollouts, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you plan and deliver your online brand ambitions.
GaryEbury GaryEbury, 6 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks!

Greg Strutton Greg Strutton, 6 years ago

Hi All, @Yann has pretty much hit the nail on the head.  We have written a rather handy article in our resources section regarding open rates.
Understanding email open rates
I hope that helps!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098