How accurate are the stats ?

Hi guys

Firstly, great product, been using it for over two years now.

Very recently I ran a little newsletter campaign for a friend’s town house complex. And there was something interesting that I noticed.

I suppose it can all be boiled down to some more clarification concerning bounced emails.....

But basically what I noticed was that there was, according to CM’s stats, 11 bounced emails – 7 soft and 4 hard bounces. Here is the strange part.... one of the soft bounces replied to the email directly... so, she actually did receive it ! The other ten emails (including the ‘hard bounces’)  were forwarded on via MS Outlook and only two bounced back.

So, my question is this; how accurate are the stats or is this simply a case of me misunderstanding CM’s definition of a bounced email ?

Please let me know. Thanks again guys for a great product.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi Mr_Boy, welcome to the forums! You might want to take a look at this help topic on soft bounces. As auto-replies (eg. 'I'm out of the office until...') can sometimes get counted as soft bounces, there's a chance that your messages did get delivered, but were counted as soft bounces anyway.

Likewise, something out of our control may have occurred on the recipients' mail servers, thus triggering a soft bounce.

Hopefully this helps - if you think that there may be more to it, please get in contact with our support team and we'll look into this particular send for you.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Mr_Boy, 5 years ago

Thanks for the info and the clarification. It still doesn't really clarify the Hard Bounces... but as you say, could have been a temp problem with their servers.

It's not a train smash. Just something that got me scratching my head :)

Thank you again.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free