Basic emailer starter template

Hi all, as part of my new job I've been thrust into having to build a lot of HTML emails. I'm well versed in HTML and CSS but as we know, this is a different ball game.

So, to make my life easier (and to speed things up) I decided to make a emailer starter template that has basic things taken care of...

1. Centered, fixed width
2. Basic CSS reset
3. Any email client hacks that crop up
4. Some basic tips if someone else were to use it.

This is all based on what I've picked up/read over the last month so I wanted to get some eyes cast over it as you guys will know much more than I will! And hopefully make this starter template as strong as possible.

One thing I cannot figure out is an overall background image, I can't get the balance right between clients : ( at the moment it has a background on the main table (in the markup) but Outlook 07, 10 doesn't like that but will have a background on the body but only if the table background isn't present... *head explodes*

Anyway, let me know what you think and hit me with any improvements/suggestions. I'd really appreciate it!

Here is the link to the template
Here is the link to the css (ignore the /* @group */ comments, it's what my CSS software uses to group sections)

Many thanks
Mikee

Stig Stig, 6 years ago

Hi Mikee,

Thanks for sharing - that looks like a solid starting point for simple campaigns!

For background images, have you had a look at this blog post?

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
mikeebee, 6 years ago

Just used it and it worked a treat! However, even after applying the methods of the blog post you mentioned Stig. I still can't get an image to display in Outlook 2007.

Here is a link to the page after being ran through Premailer, can you see why it still wouldn't display?

Cheers
Mikee

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098