We have run our design and spam tests and everything passed very well with only a few warnings. The only problem is Outlook 2007, and there is no explanation provided. Doe's anyone know some key elements that might be causing this with Outlook 2007? Also, the spam tests take into consideration the from name and subject line right? How much weight does this have in comparision with the overall content?
Any insight would be much appreciated!
Unfortunately Microsoft don't provide reasons for filtering in outlook 2003, so our filter is basically a simulation of similar rules. You can read more about how the filter works and what to look out for here:
Microsoft does provide *some* guidance on its keyword blocking algorithm (which isn't very sophisticated.)
To me, some of these rules seem like a lot of legit messages would be caught.
We are having a similar problem with one of our campaigns, however a few of us use Outlook 2007 here in the office and do not experience the same problem even on the highest Junk Email settings. Should we be holding up our campaign over this?
I am confused by the "rules" found at Microsoft http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA010450051033.aspx
vs. the rules re-engineered and present in the campaign monitor help section.
Can anyone provide more guidance on how to not get wrongly flagged by Outlook? We are "failing" the Outlook 2003 and 2007 test but don't know why.
I am now suspecting an updated outlook 2007 junk mail filter that was just released.
Have tried many variations of our newsletter but cannot figure out what is causing us to FAIL microsoft's filters.
If anyone has links to other articles, please POST!!
Thanks for the link Rob,
As always, no real information about how the new filter works, but if we do find out anything we will post about it.
To clarify our situation -- if a user has us on Safe Sender or in Address Book, we get delivered. If not, Junk Folder. We fail both Outlook 2003 and 2007 tests on Campaign Monitor, pass all other CM tests.
We have looked at things such as:
* acronyms in subject line
* specific bad words (is "unsubscribe" considered a bad word by MS??)
* the amount of HTML code vs. links
* the number of links
* links being set as a whole sentence (which looked terrible anyway and was a mistake!)
* Html errors (ran the code thru Tidy and cleaned it up)
Our newsletter is basically a summary of Homeland Security stories for the week, so it is basically 20 or so links with a few sentences about each link. Pretty basic. Nested Tables layout.
Aggravating. Probably MOST of our audience is on Outlook, so our concern level is high.
It's almost certainly some word or phrase in your content being flagged, and there's no easy way to find out what. I'd suggest you start chopping the email in half, and seeing if you can get either half through ok - it could help you narrow down where the problem is.
Good suggestion, we have done some of that already.
In our latest issue, some Outlook-ers DID receive it without having us in their address book / safe sender list. I think some recent tweak to the Outlook Junk Filter is causing this -- but that update is unevenly applied as some people take Automatic updates and some don't.
we are having a similar issue. we found that the email address it comes from matters. for whatever reason, if i use one client's name and emails it works, the one that really wants to send it, no go, outlook 2003/7 choke, while everything else is fine.
anyone have any suggestions about why one email address wouldn't work, while another would be fine? neither are in whitelist, and neither are things like firstname.lastname@example.org or anything generic like that. they're both regular people's names
Has there been anymore insight in Outlook 2007's filtering? In SpamCheck I get a rating of 0.7 (great!) and I've gone through the links above and checked my content/subject/address against MS's list, but after I've tested my template 3 times there is still no change - I only fail Outlook 2007. Any ideas?
It is really tricky - we don't have any more information than before, I'm afraid, so brute force trial and error is the ay to go. Find a test address you can use which is accessible through Outlook 2007, and start taking out parts of your email.
I've found that including the string "Suite XX" (where XX is a 2-digit or more number) in the HTML body causes Outlook 2007 to spam the message. (Please don't ask how long it took to track this down.)
I need to provide the suite number in the email, so as a workaround I'm employing an HTML-escape sequence to replace the second digit in the suite number. This tricks Outlook enough to pass the test. For instance:
Old: Suite 2000
New: Suite 2&#48;00
(You can find a complete list of escape sequences at http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/ar … acters.php.)
Keep in mind that if you're auto-generating the text version of the email based on your "hacked" HTML, you may want to dig through there and CORRECT the escape sequence, and set it back to the regular digit(s). I've tested this and using the real XX number in the text version does not trip the spam filter.
I hope this saves someone else hours of F5-pounding enjoyment.
From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.Get started for free