HTML emails in Outlook Web Access

Hi, I am trying to send out a newsletter to individuals using Outlook Web Access. When I test the email using Mail, it looks great. But when I check the email in Outlook Web Access, none of the formatting is displayed. Instead I have to click "View as a web page" in order to see it correctly. Is there any way around this? I have noticed that using Mail's Stationary does display correctly in Outlook Web Access. Is there any way to convert my HTML email message into whatever format Stationary is so that it will display properly? Thanks.

acidproductUK acidproductUK, 8 years ago

Do you mean you are trying to send a newsletter to individuals who use Outlook Web Access? Or do you mean you are trying to use Outlook Web Access to send out newsletters? Subtle difference in wording, big difference in meaning.
Also, when you say "Mail" do you mean Windows Mail or Apple Mail? Again, big difference.

It sounds as though you are expecting your email clients to display HTML as well as (most) web browsers. As nice as this idea is, it's sadly not the case. For some good pointers on what works and what doesn't, try these articles:

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2007/04/a_guide_to_css_support_in_emai_2.html
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2005/11/email_design_guidelines_for_20.html

Ian Davies
Acid Product
Audio Visual Presentations, Web Design, Print Design and Creative Technology Consultancy in Rugby, UK
c0731, 8 years ago

I am using Apple Mail (Leopard version) and the recipients are using Outlook Web Access. As I said, I do not understand why Mail's Stationery will show correctly (even the fonts) in Outlook Web Access - but my HTML emails do not. Aren't Mail's Stationery HTML? If so, then they should be treated just like my emails. But they go through perfectly, mine go through as plain text (unless you click 'View as a web page').

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Hi C0731,

You're right, stationary is essentially HTML, but it sounds to me like the big difference here is that Apple Mail is embedding the images in the email itself (Which I believe is also true of Outlook stationary). This works fine for casual mailing but has major drawbacks for bulk mail (eg: massive increase in bandwidth, higher chance of being caught in spamfilters, etc...).

Can I ask why you're trying to tailor emails for Outlook Web Access? I can't imagine a great percentage of any list would use this (and as you've seen, it's somewhat lacking in display functionality).

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
c0731, 8 years ago

The reason is because these newsletters are for an organization at my school and the school's email system is Outlook Web Access and therefore that is what (most) people would be using to check their emails.

acidproductUK acidproductUK, 8 years ago

As Stormy said, it could partly be down to Apple Mail embedding the images, but the fact that information like font style (and presumably other attributes like colour and size) is getting lost suggests something else is going on.
Have you compared the HTML source of your email and Mail's stationery? Sometimes simple stuff like whether you have a DOCTYPE declaration or where the stylesheet is positioned in the HTML (in the <head> tag or the <body> tag) can make all the difference. I had an email recently that worked perfectly in everything except Hotmail and Windows Live Mail for exactly that reason.
Can I ask why you're using Apple Mail to send the emails, and not Campaign Monitor? That's not a sales pitch, but it is what the tool is designed for. Quite apart from the other features, one of the main reasons I gave up trying to send bulk messages from a mail client like Apple Mail or Outlook was that you never really knew what was happening to your HTML before it got sent. With Campaign Monitor, you can be sure that your HTML is untouched and all you have to worry about is what's happening at the other end!

Ian Davies
Acid Product
Audio Visual Presentations, Web Design, Print Design and Creative Technology Consultancy in Rugby, UK
c0731, 8 years ago

I'm pretty unexperienced in this; that's why I was just using Mail. I will check out Campaign Monitor though. Thanks for the suggestions.

waleeed00, 6 months ago

Can I ask why you're trying to tailor emails for Outlook Web Access? I can't imagine a great percentage of any list would use this (and as you've seen, it's somewhat lacking in display functionality).

waleeed

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098