Lotus Notes 6.5 and 7, unwanted space on small td's

Hi,

I'm testing an email and it is laid out correctly in all the clients except for Lotus notes 6.5 and 7.

The problem occurs when td's become very small (less than 10px). Those td's then do not get any smaller and end up with extra unwanted padding on either the bottom or the right.

Below is a screenshot of it happening to 1px wide images in Lotus notes 6.5. I've made this as an example of the strange layout occurring. As you can see (in the top left) the td's is set to the correct width (1px) and so is the image, however the td has some extra padding, about 12px, on the right of it. The extra space is highlighted in pink.

http://smickie.com/ln65.png

This also happens with 1px height image too, there is unwanted padding on the bottom.

The sample email's html is here:
Demo Email

I would really appreciate some help with this, It's a bug I just can't seem to fix. If you find a solution I'll send you a muffin or something.

BThies BThies, 5 years ago

I wouldn't worry about Lotus 6.5 or 7.  They're both outdated and don't support most html coding.  They also tend to break most html table designs regardless of how well they're coded.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
sean, 5 years ago
BThies :

I wouldn't worry about Lotus 6.5 or 7.  They're both outdated and don't support most html coding.  They also tend to break most html table designs regardless of how well they're coded.

I wish I could, but it has too look good in them. It's just this one niggly layout bug that needs solving.

What if all the IE6 users are just web developers testing in IE6?
BThies BThies, 5 years ago

If it helps, Lotus 6.5/7 don't allow small heights/widths of <td>'s.  They have a minimum size (which off the top of my head I think is 2-4px).

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
wilbertheinen wilbertheinen, 5 years ago

Normally I never look at Lotus 6.5 or 7, but I work for a customer who wants to receive the newsletter correctly in Lotus 6.5 or 7. It is almost impossible for complex designs, but for a simple design you can get it done.

Don't use colspans, rowspans, small heights/widths.

Keep it simple!

Create a Clang!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098