Font Problem when viewing in Outlook 2007

Hi there,
I've modified a template and it is working fine except for one small thing. Whenever we view our email in Outlook 2007, all the headers show up in Times New Roman even though I have specified in the CSS that it should be a sans-serif at the very least. When they click to 'View it on your browser', everything shows up as it should so it's just a problem when viewing in Outlook.

Has anyone had this issue before? Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi tii, welcome to the forums. Could you kindly post your code here, or send it to our support team? Then we'll be able to determine why this is happening in Outlook '07.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Tyran67, 5 years ago

Hi, was this resolved? I have exactly the same issue and drawing a complete blank!

Hi Tyran67, welcome to the forums! This particular instance seems like it was solved by adding the style="font-family:..;" CSS to the surrounding table cell <td>, instead of the header tags.

Of course, it's hard to say if this will solve your font problems without actually seeing your code, so feel free to post here, or contact support if this fix doesn't work for you.

We're also on Facebook:
Rich Simisker Rich Simisker, 5 years ago

This can sometimes occur when specifying multi-word fonts using single quotes [as recommended by the W3C]. For example:

style="font-family: 'Franklin Gothic Medium','Trebuchet MS','Helvetica Neue',sans-serif"

It's yet another instance of "follow web standards for your e-mail and prepare for a world of hurt", unfortunately. It looks as though some clients misinterpret the single quotes as double quotes and all sorts of hilarity ensues.

Luckily, I've found that ignoring the W3C recommendation solves the problem and doesn't harm the e-mail. So instead of the code above, you'd use:

style="font-family: Franklin Gothic Medium,Trebuchet MS,Helvetica Neue,sans-serif"

That seems to do the trick :)

Self-styled "Technical Boffin" at Plasticle E-mail Design.

Rad, thanks for the advice, Rich! We'll give that a shot ourselves :)

We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free