Outlook 2007 and line-height

Hi all,

I have "line-height: 1.3 em;" on my paragraphs in a most of my emails and that renders perfectly fine in all email clients except...(drum roll...)....Outlook 2007.

Outlook 2007 puts too much extra space in between each line and it really looks like crap! Is there a way around this?

davidaf davidaf, 5 years ago

Hi,

Others have posted similar issues in the past and another forum member (dplmartin) posted a helpful tip - see if that works out for you!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
bopjo1 bopjo1, 5 years ago

Thanks for that. If I understand, the solution is to set line-height to 17px or greater and place this code before the line-height rule in the CSS:

mso-line-height-rule:exactly;

I can't believe there aren't more discussions about this issue, as its such a glaring inconsistency to have for a basic but critical layout property.

summitkc, 5 years ago

Still not working for me.  Am I doing something wrong?  Here is my code:
<font style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:xx-small; font-weight:bold; line-height:17px; mso-line-height-rule: exactly;">

summitkc, 5 years ago

Figured it out.  Needed to put style="line-height:17px; mso-line-height-rule: exactly;" in <td> tag.

bopjo1 bopjo1, 5 years ago

Use this technique with caution! After using it for the past month we've run into a problem - mso-line-height-rule:exactly; can cause images to appear only partially downloaded in Outlook.

I usually place my CSS in <td> tags. For example, I'll write:

<td style="font-weight: bold; mso-line-height-rule:exactly; line-height:17px;">Content</td>

I don't know for sure, but I believe placing mso-line-height-rule:exactly; in a <td> tag for a table cell that has an image in it may cause misalignment of the image and make it appear partially downloaded.

It may be that mso-line-height-rule:exactly; is only suitable for use in <p> tags that contain only text.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098