'Unsubscribe' is a Spam word, so the C M code is bad news?

Hello
I have noticed the word 'unsubscribe' is deemed by many email help sites as a big Spam red flag word.

And to have a C M link to remove a client from a list, you ask us to add your 'unsubscribe' code to your outgoing emails as company policy.

Isn't this potentially causing a problem? If this word is highlighted as Spam by default in many firewall and Spam filters, won't your hit rate decline with that?

It would be great if you could supply a bit of code without the subscribe word included, but that still works at your end re hot link to 'remove me from your email list'. I know I can change 'unsubscribe' to 'remove me from your email list' BUT I can't alter your code containing that word.

Stig Stig, 5 years ago

Hi Alamar,

The <unsubscribe> tags are actually only used internally in Campaign Monitor, so once you send the campaign, that code will be replaced with a regular link to an individual unsubscribe URL for each recipient. The URL does not contain the word "unsubscribe".

So as long as you use a different (but clear) wording for the unsubscribe text itself, there shouldn't be any mentions of the word "unsubscribe" added to the content or HTML when the campaign is sent.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Alamar, 5 years ago

Hi Stig

Many thanks for that. It has allayed my fears.

Alamar

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098