Email import issues.

Hi -  I have a customer is consistently questioning the amount of the subscribers on their database.  They provide a lot of duplicate emails in their  original spreadsheet,  assuring me that these emails go to different branches of the same member ?  Surely each physical branch would have dedicated email address?  Or am I wrong in thinking this?  Anyway of course when the data base is uploaded the duplicates are automatically removed.  Could you clarify my thinking on this?

Also  the suppression list is questioned,  could you articulate the workings of the suppression list for me,  I understand it,  but I want to make sure I am correct, before explaining it to the customer.  I have been assured today that a number of addresses on the suppression list are not duplicates/ have not unsubscribed / bounced.   ( Not sure how the customer is able to assure me of this as they have not seen the suppression list ) but the CSV of imported emails sent to them today,  has been questioned. Again before I go back to them it would be good to see the suppression list articulated in a way that a customer can understand it !

It is really the duplicate email addresses issue I would like confirmed,  as I don't want to point this out to them if  I am quite wrong !!

so just to reiterate,  the customer provides a spreadsheet of their member emails.  This includes a lot of duplicates, like admin@ -----------bt.com,  1 of these only  is uploaded by the system,  leading to the discrepancy in figures.  When questioned the customer insists that these duplicates are because they go to various physical branches.   I am just waiting for them to question why the duplicates are removed and would like to be absolutely sure I am right !

With many thanks,

davidaf davidaf, 5 years ago

Hi,

You are correct that we use the email address as the unique identifier in a list, so if two records with the same email address are imported, one is removed as a duplicate. The only way to avoid this is to separate the different branches to different lists if it's important for them to identify each branch separately. Does this make sense?

The ways an email gets on the suppression list is:
1. The email address is manually added to the suppression list
2. The "unsubscribe" link in an email sent to the email address is clicked
3. The email sent to the email address hard bounces
4. The email address soft bounces three times in a row with no activity between campaigns (see more about bounces

You can view the suppression list if you go to the Lists and Subscribers tab for your client and scroll to the bottom and click on the number - the suppression list will give a reason if possible for why each address is on the list, this can help you audit individual email addresses if need be.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
Mrsweb, 5 years ago

With many thanks Davida

JanaaElliott, 5 years ago

Firma Royal Stone zajmuje się produkcją galanterii kamiennej – blatów łazienkowych i kuchennych. W ofercie <a href="http://www.royalstone.com.pl">blaty granitowe</a> w około 20 kolorach do wyboru oraz 30 rodzajów konglomeratów kwarcowych i granitowych. W zależności od zamówienia realizacja trwa 5-7 dni.

Firma Royal Stone zajmuje się produkcją galanterii kamiennej – blatów łazienkowych i kuchennych. W ofercie blaty granitowe w około 20 kolorach do wyboru oraz 30 rodzajów konglomeratów kwarcowych i granitowych. W zależności od zamówienia realizacja trwa 5-7 dni.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098