how to design a toc with repeatertitle in columns

Hello,

I have to design a newsletter with many articles but without a sidebar.
So I'd like to place the Table of Content near the header, like campaignmonitors newsletters for example.

The problem is that if there is too many articles the list of repeatertitle would be too high
and i'd like that after the 5th title, the next one goes on a new column, and so on.

You can see what I mean here :
www.marcsaffar.com/test-repeater.jpg

I don't know how to do that.

Any help or idea will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

Stig Stig, 5 years ago

Hi Marc,

This is a somewhat tricky one. Although it won't be supported by most email clients, the only way I can think of to do this, is with the CSS3 column property.

We've tested a number of CSS3 properties in different email clients, although not the column properties specifically. Since the support is mostly pretty lacking, it might not be worth the effort, but here's a good blog post on using the column property for lists if you want to give it a try.

Alternatively, if you'd be okay with the list items going horizontally instead (see what I mean here), you could using the float property, which has somewhat broader support.

Here's a post on that, for reference.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
marcsaffar, 5 years ago

Hi Stig,

Thanks for your answer.
OK with me if the list item going horizontally. What is important is to avoid a too high list.
I've also tried display:inline; but same problem that the float property : outlook 2007 won't support it

Marc

Stig Stig, 5 years ago

Hi Marc,

Yeah, none of these approaches will work in Outlook 2007 unfortunately. The only suggestion I make for this if you have a lot of Outlook 2007 recipients, is to make the ToC manually.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
marcsaffar, 5 years ago

Hi Stig,

I can't make ToC manually because it is a template.
So I think the better way is to think an other design.

That's why a graphic designer is paid.
Isn't it :)

Thanks again

Marc

Carissa Carissa, 5 years ago

Hi Marc,

Yes, it seems best to change the design of the template so it renders the way you'd like in Outlook 2007.

Carissa
Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098