Purchasing Databases for CM

Hello,

I was just wondering how i can monitor if my customers are purchasing databases to get email addresses for campaign monitor.

How will i or even CM know if they are doing this? i know this is against policy but just wondered if i should look out for any signs that would indicate they are doing this?

If there is no way of monitoring the quality of the clients email addresses then surely i would always be in danger of breaching the rules via my clients ...however this would be unintentional on my part.

Thanks for your time.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Stafford, it all comes down to your relationship with your clients. If you can't trust them and they're doing things behind your back, then there's clearly a much deeper problem there.

We do have permission handouts that you can encourage them to sign, which is a good start. Ultimately it all comes down to good communication.

We can always tell when a purchased list has been used within minutes of the campaign being sent, so there's no way it would go undetected by our team.

stafford, 8 years ago

Well i do have a good relationship with them but if i am going to create a bit of a business around MB then i am in no real control of this area really.

I have read other posts similar to this one and the answer is always the same "trust between you and the client". But lets be honest if a client has been loyal and honest for a long time then suddenly they lose a bit of business they may resort to desperate measures... after all business is business at the end of the day.

I really do think this is a valid area you are overlooking here, while i totally understand why you need to be hard on this point you also need to give some kind of solution to this... even if it were a 2 strikes and your out kind of policy.

I want to commit 6 months to a year drumming up business for this but all that work could go out the window if i get one bad client. And yes i know you will say i need to source better clients but what if it's someone withing my clients company that does it, someone who doesnt care about theirs or my company!

Basically what i am saying is if this does happen are you guys willing to discuss the case before just banning people from using is because if that were the case and it was looked into with a little common sense then that would make me feel more comfortable.

Say fro example i had been doing this for 6 - 12 months and drummed up a lot of business then had 1 bad customer....would i be instantly banned?

tshannon0 tshannon0, 8 years ago

We're in the same situation, it'd be good to know what position you guys take on this.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Thanks for the response guys, and I completely understand where you're coming from. You can rest assured that we always open a dialogue with a customer before permanently closing their account because of an abusive client. This exact situation has popped up on a few select occasions, and in most cases we have simply removed the abusive client from their account, and the rest of their customers have remained unaffected.

Provided you can demonstrate you've taken measure to communicate best practice with your client and it's clear they've been 100% responsible for the abuse, your account will be completely safe. Also, if the abusive client is balanced by others doing the right thing, then we certainly won't be penalizing them either.

I hope that clears things up, but please let me know if you have any other concerns.

vince, 8 years ago

I have asked this before, and quite frankly it was the one thing that gives me the most fear.
Maybe a little more clarity to include what Dave has just said within the terms would go some way.

Dave :

You can rest assured that we always open a dialogue with a customer before permanently closing their account because of an abusive client. ... in most cases we have simply removed the abusive client from their account, and the rest of their customers have remained unaffected.

Provided you can demonstrate you've taken measure to communicate best practice with your client and it's clear they've been 100% responsible for the abuse, your account will be completely safe. Also, if the abusive client is balanced by others doing the right thing, then we certainly won't be penalizing them either.

I personally would like it to just say that those particular clients would be affected, not the reseller (us), unless of course we have too high a percentage of bad versus good clients.
It would make business sense for all of us anyway, as I'm sure CM/MM/Freshview wouldn't want to lose us and ALL of our good clients.

By the way, as you mentioned it only takes your team a few minutes to detect, can you maybe provide us with the know-how so we can attempt to avoid this in the first place?

I think we are all appreciate for an improved solution to this so we may feel more security for our business.
In a way, it's not a million miles form the same sentiment as the following:
Some quotes:
- "Google is oblivious to the enterprise need for proprietary control of its own data (read business)"
- "Google reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, Google services (or any part thereof) with or without notice. "
http://blog.insiderchatter.com/2008/02/28/why-google-sites-is-bad-business-til-death-do-us-part/

Sorry for the rant, and I promise not to cover this point ever again unless invited by CM staff.
Thanks for listening.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Thanks for the follow up Vince.

vince :

By the way, as you mentioned it only takes your team a few minutes to detect, can you maybe provide us with the know-how so we can attempt to avoid this in the first place?

We can detect this quickly by looking at the bounce  and complaint rate for the campaign. To avoid this in the first place, all you have to do is ensure your client's subscribers won't complain, and that their list is up to date to minimize bounces.

How do you ensure that?

Easy, just follow our permission policies (must have explicit permission to contact them about the topic, must be less than 2 years since you contacted them, etc) and ensure the content is relevant. Everything else will take care of itself if you've got this covered. It's really that simple.

Greg66, 6 years ago

Hi Dave, I was keen to read on the permission policies, but the link in your post is blind (404).

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 6 years ago

Sorry about that, Greg. I've updated that link. Our permission policy can be found here.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Another useful link to help with checking your client's permission: http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/2752/how-to-check-your-clients-sending-permission/

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098