Subscription possible without subscription form?

My client wants to make sure that they're in control of the email addresses in a list, as the information they're sending is for a closed user group. If they do not have a subscription form anywhere on the web, might it still be possible for a random user to add themselves to the list somehow? Perhaps if someone forwarded an email to them, would there be enough information in the email for the recipient to subscribe themselves?

Also, I assume that when an email address is listed as "added manually", that means by a list admin through the control panel?

Stilgherrian
Prussia,Net

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi Stilgherrian, welcome to the forums. Happy to help you out here.

> Perhaps if someone forwarded an email to them, would there be enough information in the email for the recipient to subscribe themselves?

If the email contained a 'Forward to a Friend' link, then it would be very easy. However, sans this, then no - it shouldn't be possible, even if the newsletter's webversion link gets passed around. Our devs have confirmed that you would really need inside knowledge to create a functional subscribe form after simply receiving a campaign.

Keep in mind that at some point, your client may be asked to show permission - if you don't have a web subscribe form, then here are some other ways to show that subscribers opted-in - offline subscribe forms are okay.

> Also, I assume that when an email address is listed as "added manually", that means by a list admin through the control panel?

Yes. Being added via the API doesn't count as being added manually, btw.

Cheers mate, keep up the great work on Crikey :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
stilgherrian stilgherrian, 5 years ago

Thanks, Ros. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was flat out and simply forgot to look for the answer. Glad you like Crikey. ;)

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098