API list update and testing

Hi all,

I'm looking to integrate CM into one of my applications. But I have stumbled upon 3 small issues.

First issue is regarding the update ability of lists. When you use the API and want the update the list type, you get an error that the list name must be unique. It seems when you want to update through the API you are forced to rename the list as wel. Is this the expected behavior, since you can only update the type (and not the name) through the createsend web interface without problems.

Second issue is about deleting subscribers. Again, it is not possible to delete subscribers through the API. You can only unsubscribe them. But then again, it is posible to delete them, through the createsend interface. Will it be possible to delete subscribers through the API in the near future?

Third issue is about automation tests. I see that the ruby client has a nice test suite, but that doesn't mean I don't have to write tests for my own application. I can test everything perfectly except campaigns. I run my testsuites on my local machine. So I can't create any tests because I'm forces to give a valid HtmlUrl and TextUrl. Is there any workaround for this, or is the best idea to just upload some valid test html and text online where I can point to?
Why not only disable the send and send_preview functionality when no valid urls are given?

Sincerely yours

Michaël

netronix netronix, 5 years ago
netronix :

First issue is regarding the update ability of lists. When you use the API and want the update the list type, you get an error that the list name must be unique. It seems when you want to update through the API you are forced to rename the list as wel. Is this the expected behavior, since you can only update the type (and not the name) through the createsend web interface without problems.

Looked a bit further into this but seemed to be a bug the application. So this was my bad.

But I would still appreciate a response for the other 2 "issues"

jamesd jamesd, 5 years ago

Hey Michaël,

netronix :

Second issue is about deleting subscribers. Again, it is not possible to delete subscribers through the API. You can only unsubscribe them. But then again, it is posible to delete them, through the createsend interface. Will it be possible to delete subscribers through the API in the near future?

This is something which has been requested before, and I've added a vote to our feature request for deletion of subscribers via the API. I can't say when it will be implemented, as all feature requests are scheduled based on customer demand. We'll notify you here when it is eventually implemented.

netronix :

Third issue is about automation tests. I see that the ruby client has a nice test suite, but that doesn't mean I don't have to write tests for my own application. I can test everything perfectly except campaigns. I run my testsuites on my local machine. So I can't create any tests because I'm forces to give a valid HtmlUrl and TextUrl. Is there any workaround for this, or is the best idea to just upload some valid test html and text online where I can point to?

If you want to write automated functional tests, I would recommend that you host a valid html and text version of a campaign which you can refer to in your tests as you suggest.

davidh, 4 years ago

We have now added a method to delete subscribers to the API.

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/api/subscribers/#deleting_a_subscriber

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098