Segments That Begin With a Letter

I need to segment our list of subscribers where it's based on an ID that contains a letter than a number. For example A12345 or B12345.

In MailChimp we could segment by fields that contain or begins with. Do you have a feature such as that or at least like a wild card feature so I can say A* or B*?

Jarrod Jarrod, 5 years ago

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately segments don't have wildcard selectors at the moment, but I've added a vote for this feature request for you. If you subscribe to this thread, we'll let you know if they get built in.

For now though, you'd need to use a separate custom field value for segmenting according to this value. For example, you may choose to setup a multi-choice custom field that includes a simple A or B value for subscribers who have an ID of A12345 or B12345, for example.

We understand that this is a bit of a workaround due to the limitation of the system at the moment.

tbianco tbianco, 5 years ago

That's going to be a problem, because I can't do that in the data export unfortunately. Looks like I'll need to add edit the CSV file manually before importing the list.

But yes, please have this as a vote for a feature list. Go look at MailChimp's import options.

Tony Bianco
Veloce Media
Media & Marketing Solutions for Developing Businesses
Greg Strutton Greg Strutton, 2 years ago

Hey Tony!

Just a quick update to let you know that the segments have recently been updated to include more conditions when creating a rule. You now have the following available:

As each data type has a slightly different set of conditions, please take a look through the link above to see what's available.

Hopefully this will provide all the extra functionality you require to create more powerful and accurate segments!

Do let us know how you get on!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free