How do I educate a client about common Gmail issues?

I'm a designer, working with a business client on a small email campaign. She happens to use the most troublesome (but popular) email clients --Gmail and Outlook 2007, and thinks that most of the recipients on her list use these clients.

I have honed my design and code to make it work for those clients, using this background image solution among other hints found on CM.
I've tested thoroughly on CM and all finally looks great, including Gmail.

However, when I send the test email to her personal Gmail account, the images don't automatically load and she is not familiar with the green bar that has the "display  images" links for the user to click. I had to explain to her what that was, but I was unable to assure her that this is common to Gmail users, and that it is beyond my control as a designer. I have included a link to view the email as a webpage in my code, explaining this as common practice for this issue.

But with all my explanations and time-consuming reseach and workarounds, she is fixated on the idea that no one will be able to view this email and I think wants to cancel the whole job.

Does anyone have hints/suggestions/resources as to how I might reassure this client and keep the job? What do you say or do to educate clients about HTML email limitations and keep them from thinking you just don't know what you're doing?

thanks so much.

Carissa Carissa, 5 years ago

Hi rkread59,

Sorry to hear your client doesn't trust you. That would be tough. Sometimes stats or charts work well so you might find this page on image blocking in email helpful. There are some great tables you can use to show her that having to enable images is a common thing among email clients. She might even be comforted to know what else you've done to make the email as recognizable as possible (for example, alt tags, actual text, etc.).

Good luck!

Carissa
Campaign Monitor
rkread59, 5 years ago

That's a really helpful article, thank you Carissa. Helpful to me, but probably too much information for the client to digest...alas!

But perhaps I can take some of that info and pass it on. Ideally I would like to find a layperson's resource with language that doesn't get too technical but has some reputable authority...

Best,

Robin

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098