Read statistics not updating when messages opened.

Hi,

I've discovered three subscribers today that have all opened and read a newsletter I sent out a few hours ago that aren't appearing in the opened/read stats in the campaign overview.

What's strange is that for previous mailing these subscribers have shown up.

They are all displaying images and the message is appearing as expected.  They are using current Mac Mail, gmail and Windows Live Mail so I can't even put it down to an email client.

I've had two of the three click a link in the email and then they show up in the report.

Has the method for identifying a read message changed and now being filtered by some email clients?  (i.e. a commonly named web bug).

Damo, 5 years ago

Is the web bug that gets used the last image o.gif?

Looking back over the reports these client had previously clicked links, that's why they appeared before.  Doing some more digging I've found that two of these three had their mail scanned by mailscanner and the webbug filtering was replacing o.gif with a generic holder.  Doesn't explain gmail though.

If I try to view the gif file it doesn't work, it's a zero byte file.  I'm using the one in the gmail message as it's not stripped out at all.  It has the format of https://createsend1.com/t/r/o/xxxxxxx/yyyyyyyyy/o.gif  (replaced with x and y incase I was identifying the user in some way)

Damo, 5 years ago

Ok, there's certainly something wrong.  I've just checked with another subscriber at random and they viewed it on an iPhone and it has not been recorded either.  They use their own POP account with no filtering.

I know the stats aren't 100% for opens but something has changed and is not working the same for people that it did previously.

Greg Strutton Greg Strutton, 5 years ago

Hi Damo,

Sorry to hear you are having a few issues with opens.  Could you kindly get in touch with our support team with account and campaign details so we can look into this for you?

Thanks

Greg Strutton Greg Strutton, 5 years ago
Greg Strutton :

Hi Damo,

Sorry to hear you are having a few issues with opens.  Could you kindly get in touch with our support team with account and campaign details so we can look into this for you?

Thanks

Just spotted your ticket and will respond :)

Damo, 5 years ago

Hi Greg,

I did contact the support team already and referenced this thread.  I've not heard back yet so can't supply my account details.  I figure I should not send a second email into the queue.

Look forward to hearing why this happening and getting it resolved.  The last time I sent a campaign to this list (last month) I did it via a scheduled send.  Unfortunately your system sent it on time but then the system went offline for planned maintenance, even though the maintenance notification said that anything scheduled during that window would be sent afterwards.  We missed out on statistics for that send as well.  That's two for two now, I hope the next send will go smoothly.

Damo, 5 years ago

Thanks Greg, just sent you a reply.

Damo, 5 years ago

Want to say thanks to both Greg and Mathew for their replies to my email. 

I have a better understanding now of how/why this has occurred.  :)

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098