LastName not being picked up

I have embedded [Lastname, fallback=] into my email html. However, for some reason it is not being merged when I run a "Send the test using a random recipient's details to test personalization". It's driving me crazy. I have reimported the client list twice and deleted and reinserted the personalization string... Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi rpage, the first thing to check is if the random recipient selected actually has a Lastname value. It may be worth creating a test list that definitely has Lastnames, as it could be our app being silly and choosing inappropriate random recipients ;)

If that isn't the case, kindly get in contact with our support team with account and campaign details - we'll be able to check it out for you.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
rpage, 5 years ago

Every column has the correct data. Despite that it will not pick up the Lastname. Have sent in a Technical Support email as suggested.

rpage, 5 years ago

For anyone else out there who trips over this simple error on my part: Feedback from Diana Potter at Campaign Monitor sorted the problem: Her reply was:
I only see 1 word in your Name field in the Men list. If that's the case you would want to use either the [firstname] or [fullname] tag. We have no way of knowing the the one entry is a first or last name, basically the tags work by grabbing the first word or the last word entered. If you only have 1 word then you want to use the firstname or fullname (to grab the whole entry) tags.

The clarification worked a treat.
Thanks Richard

Diana Diana, 5 years ago

Hey Richard,

Glad I could help.

D. Potter
Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free