Email Personalisation - Many Questions

Hi,

I’ve been using Campaign Monitor for a while to send my email campaigns but now I want to start adding a bit of personalisation to the emails, previously we have sent the campaigns with no personalisation at all.

My problem is that my list is a mess:
90% is made up of records with just an email address and no name.
10% have email and name

Would I be better splitting my subscriber list in two, and having a list for records with names and a list for records without names and then send different emails to each list, one personalised and one not ?

I also want to start using a custom field for firstname for all my new subscribers because the CM method of just hacking off the first string from the name field seems a bit hit and miss, especially as some people only put an initial and addressing the email to Dear P, would probably not work to well in gaining peoples respect, so I guess I am going to need a 3rd list of subscribers ?

So I will have these lists:
1. email address but no name
2. email address with name
3. email address with name and custom firstname

Finally what happens if somebody ends up on more than one of the above lists, is it possible to check for duplicate email addresses ?

Sorry about all the questions but I would like to get it right before I wade in and make things even more complicated.

Thanks

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi BigJoe90, welcome to the forums!

Would I be better splitting my subscriber list in two, and having a list for records with names and a list for records without names and then send different emails to each list, one personalised and one not ?

Alternately, you could have one list and use an appropriate fallback, or none at all. Say: Hi [firstname,fallback=customer], or Hi [firstname,fallback=],

Personally, I'd probably only split the list if I wanted to compare the results from a campaign with personalization, vs. one without.

I also want to start using a custom field for firstname for all my new subscribers because the CM method of just hacking off the first string from the name field seems a bit hit and miss, especially as some people only put an initial and addressing the email to Dear P

This is a valid method - other customers use this approach to have more control over personalization. You could also attempt to clean up the list, then re-import (thus overwriting existing values in your subscriber list).

Personally, I'd try to stick with using as few individual lists as possible. This is because while we check for duplicate email addresses across multiple lists before sending a campaign, if you are on a monthly plan (or switch over to one), these duplicate addresses will still be counted towards your total number of subscribers. Secondly, if folks update their details one way or another, then it's going to be really awkward breaking up the list to reflect this. Thankfully, we do have a viable workaround - segments.

You can use segments to create groupings of subscribers that meet certain criteria. For example, criteria like: 'Name' is/is not provided. If you're using custom fields for Firstname and Lastname, you can have even more precise control over these segments, too.

Above all, I'd probably encourage subscribers to update their details using a preference center. That's probably the best (and most painless) way to collect accurate information. Let us know if you have any questions about the above :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098