Campaign Monitor Capabilities Questions

Hi there,

My company is testing out Campaign Monitor as a new potential email provider and I've have a few questions from my team that I haven't been able to find solid answers on elsewhere.

1) VARIABLE CONTENT-  If we wanted to create an email that had variable content (ex: one segment would have a paragraph on apples, another segment on oranges, another segment may not have this section at all), is the only way to do this with custom fields?

If so, and the content is more than 250 characters, could you use 2 custom fields back to back to get to 500 characters?

Lastly, if you create a new content area for that custom field without our template, what happens if no content is applicable to some segments? Will the content area still show up empty?

2) REPLY ADDRESS- At times we would prefer for the reply address to go directly to an email recipients' sales rep instead of a general marketing email. Is it possible to have multiple reply addresses using custom fields for an email, or would we have to break the email out into 20+ segments (rather unmanageable)?

3) CUSTOM FIELDS- Just to confirm, custom fields are available per account. You couldn't have 20 custom fields per segment, it's per entire subscription list, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi vistahigherlearning, thank you for giving us a try. Happy to help you with your questions here.

1) VARIABLE CONTENT-  If we wanted to create an email that had variable content (ex: one segment would have a paragraph on apples, another segment on oranges...

At present, yes. You're correct about our limit of 250 characters - in most cases, our customers create multiple versions of an email campaign, then send each version to its related segment (eg. Subscribers with custom field 'Fruit' is equal to 'Apples', Subscribers with custom field 'Fruit' is equal to 'Oranges')

Using custom fields for large amounts of text can be potentially tricky to manage, so I'd suggest using the approach above.

Lastly, if you create a new content area for that custom field without our template, what happens if no content is applicable to some segments?

It will be empty, unless you specify a fallback, ie. "Great to hear that you're interested in [fruit,fallback=any fruit]!"

2) REPLY ADDRESS- At times we would prefer for the reply address to go directly to an email recipients' sales rep instead of a general marketing email.

You can only specify one reply-to address per campaign, so I'd recommend using custom fields in the email copy to state who the recipient should get in touch with, eg:

To find out more about our product, send an email to <a href="mailto:[sales-rep-email]">[sales-rep-name]</a>.

Alternately, you can send to 1 segment per sales rep - I agree, it would be unmanageable in this case, so I'd recommend using the above message.

3) CUSTOM FIELDS- Just to confirm, custom fields are available per account. You couldn't have 20 custom fields per segment, it's per entire subscription list, correct?

20 custom fields are available in every subscriber list. You can create multiple subscriber lists. Custom fields are used to create segments (which are essentially rules based on custom field values, eg. 'Fruit' is equal to 'Apples'). You can use lots of custom fields and custom field values in each segment using our AND/OR segment logic, depending on how targeted you want your send to be (eg. Subscribers with custom field 'Fruit' is equal to 'Apples' AND Have opened campaign 'August Newsletter')

If you have any further questions about our service, I recommend getting in touch with our support team. We offer 24/7 support and can ensure your questions get answered quickly via email. Hope this helps! :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098