Spam test results say exclamation have been used when they haven't?

I just ran a design and spam test and it was blocked in Outlook's spam filter.

The reason came back as:

"You've used exclamation marks in the body of your email, this is considered spammy by Outlook."

Problem is I havent used exclamation marks at all. I have use a question mark though.

Does anyone know if the spam test or Outlook treats question marks the same as exclamation marks? Or any other reason for the exclamation marks being picked up when they aren't present?

Thanks, Rich

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi Rich, sorry about the very late response here. While exclamation marks have been an issue in the past, I haven't heard of the same applying to question marks. A single one shouldn't throw out a test, so this is very unusual.

Assuming that you've already sent the campaign by now, did you experience any further troubles with Outlook?

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
izycrzy, 4 years ago

Hi, I am running into the exact same thing. We've run a lot of spam tests (27) through CM trying to pass the Outlook filter. I only just now saw that I could click on the "Outlook" to see the description of why the email failed. It says I am using exclamation points - which I am not, and it says I am using the word "Free" - which I am not.

Furthermore, as a test, I just reloaded HTML which had previously passed the CM Outlook spam test into the new campaign. Now it says that HTML is failing as well... Yet it passed a couple of weeks ago.

I am beginning to have doubts about the reliability of this tool.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

HI izycrzy, spam tests can work in rather mysterious ways - it can often take quite a bit of testing to find out what's 'really' triggering a warning. I know this doesn't sound particularly scientific, but folks like Microsoft and Postini are deliberately opaque about how their tests work, presumably to prevent real spammers from gaming them!

If you would like a second opinion and perhaps some suggestions as to how to get your content to pass these tests, feel free to contact our team with account and campaign details. We'll do our best to get to the bottom of why the tests are showing odd results.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free