Email (Plain Text / HTML) with an attached file

It's been a while since my last contribution in those forums... I assume I haven't had any trouble with my campaigns lately. :P
Which probably means I have one now! :D

More seriously, I'm looking into a way of sending emails that would contains the following:
- a Plain text version
- an HTML version
- an attached PDF file (or whatever file I want).

I managed to code the plain text/attached file format, using the Content-Type: multipart/mixed.
I know that if I want the plain text/HTML version of the email, I would use multipart/alternative as Content-Type (like you guys seem to be doing with your campaign email).

I had lots of issues with Outlook, generating me either an HTML file, while rendering and displaying only the plain text version... and the other way around if I switched the order of my content (using boundary).
I finally decided to go plain text only with an attached file...

Now I'm thinking of using the API for the first time... and I'm wondering if there is a way to attach my PDF file to the email the system would send? I'm not talking about a link the the file, but a real inclusion into the campaign email, so I can get stats and all...

If you have any question on how/why/whatever, feel free, I'll do my best to shed some light on this matter.

Mathew Mathew, 5 years ago

Hi Nickolas,

I'm afraid Campaign Monitor doesn't support attachments at all (mostly for security and deliverability reasons), so linking to a file would be your best option there.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
NickoLabs NickoLabs, 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply Mathew. That's what I may end up doing, linking to a file hosted on a server. The problem is that the files must be web-accessible and I'd rather have those file hidden from other users. Which was the reason of the attachments version.

Hmm... I could probably disable directory-listing for that folder, so the users would need a direct link... Yup, I'll do that!
I'll keep the attachment version for now and will see if I have time to update to a v2.0 version of my little script using CM.

Thanks for the help Mathew! :D

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
rishi rishi, 4 years ago

Hi Nickolas,

I just wanted to let you know that easy file attachments are now possible in Campaign Monitor with an integration I built called: Digioh

You upload the file to Digioh and we give you a secure link you can paste into your CM newsletter. All downloads are tracked and reported. We also block non-subscribers from being able to download your file.

I know this message was from 9 months ago, but just want to let you know what you wanted to do is now possible.

Excited to see what you think!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free