Email (Plain Text / HTML) with an attached file

Greetings!

It's been a while since my last contribution in those forums... I assume I haven't had any trouble with my campaigns lately. :P
Which probably means I have one now! :D

More seriously, I'm looking into a way of sending emails that would contains the following:
- a Plain text version
- an HTML version
- an attached PDF file (or whatever file I want).

I managed to code the plain text/attached file format, using the Content-Type: multipart/mixed.
I know that if I want the plain text/HTML version of the email, I would use multipart/alternative as Content-Type (like you guys seem to be doing with your campaign email).

I had lots of issues with Outlook, generating me either an HTML file, while rendering and displaying only the plain text version... and the other way around if I switched the order of my content (using boundary).
I finally decided to go plain text only with an attached file...

Now I'm thinking of using the API for the first time... and I'm wondering if there is a way to attach my PDF file to the email the system would send? I'm not talking about a link the the file, but a real inclusion into the campaign email, so I can get stats and all...

If you have any question on how/why/whatever, feel free, I'll do my best to shed some light on this matter.

Regards,

Mathew Mathew, 5 years ago

Hi Nickolas,

I'm afraid Campaign Monitor doesn't support attachments at all (mostly for security and deliverability reasons), so linking to a file would be your best option there.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
NickoLabs NickoLabs, 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply Mathew. That's what I may end up doing, linking to a file hosted on a server. The problem is that the files must be web-accessible and I'd rather have those file hidden from other users. Which was the reason of the attachments version.

Hmm... I could probably disable directory-listing for that folder, so the users would need a direct link... Yup, I'll do that!
I'll keep the attachment version for now and will see if I have time to update to a v2.0 version of my little script using CM.

Thanks for the help Mathew! :D

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
rishi rishi, 4 years ago

Hi Nickolas,

I just wanted to let you know that easy file attachments are now possible in Campaign Monitor with an integration I built called: Digioh

You upload the file to Digioh and we give you a secure link you can paste into your CM newsletter. All downloads are tracked and reported. We also block non-subscribers from being able to download your file.

I know this message was from 9 months ago, but just want to let you know what you wanted to do is now possible.

Excited to see what you think!
Rishi
http://digioh.com/CampaignMonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098